The Graduate Student Handbook contains a wide array of information that will be useful throughout your graduate experience at UCSD. This page contains a good deal of information from the handbook, however not all of that information is here. Use this page just as a reference guide. For more in depth info, you can access the handbook in its entirety here: Graduate Student Handbook

Table of Contents

Handbook Introduction

On behalf of the staff in the Office of Graduate Studies (OGS), we wish to extend a very warm welcome to all entering graduate students and best wishes for a successful and challenging graduate student experience. We hope this year will prove to be most successful for you.

The Graduate Student Handbook has been prepared to serve as a guide and resource throughout your graduate career. The information included provides step-by-step instructions on most aspects of graduate study.

Although you will primarily be associated with your academic department, you will want to become acquainted with the OGS staff at a very early date. OGS is an administrative unit with responsibility for overseeing graduate programs across the campus. The office staff administers programs in the areas of academic planning, admissions, degree progress and completion, financial support, diversity programs, and student development. We are ready to assist you in identifying the full array of student services provided by this office and other campus units. The OGS staff cares about your success as a graduate student and hopes you will take the time to come by the office during your first months at UCSD. Let us know about your interests and concerns, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Become familiar with the staff list inside which gives the name, telephone extension, email address and area of responsibility for each staff member in our office. This will help you understand what we do and who you can contact for assistance.

Again, best wishes for a successful and engaging year!

The Graduate Student Handbook

This handbook is designed to help you understand and benefit from the many aspects of your experience as a graduate student at the University of California, San Diego. Advice, suggestions, survival techniques, policy and procedures, and inside information on graduate study are valuable resources for new and continuing graduate students.


In the full handbook on the ogs webpage, you can find information on all the topics below in great deal with links and contact information.

  • Office of Graduate Studies
  • Suggestions for successful graduate study
  • Sources of Information
  • Important websites, publications, and other sources of information
  • Beginning Graduate Study - First Things to Consider
  • Housing, parking and transportation, enrollment, and registration
  • Office of Graduate Studies (OGS)
  • A directory of OGS staff
  • Academic Information and Policies
  • Degree requirements, grading policies, leave policies, and other procedures relating to a student's academic standing
  • Student Conduct Code
  • Sexual Harassment Prevention and Policy
  • Official policy, contact names, and guidelines
  • Conflict Resolution and Student Appeals
  • Policies, resources, and guidelines
  • Academic Opportunities
  • Special programs, study abroad, and campus exchanges
  • Graduate Student Financial Support
  • Types of financial support and resources
  • Office for Students with Disabilities
  • A brief description of services provided and contact information
  • University Libraries
  • Library services, contact information, and locations
  • Computing Services and Facilities
  • Computing services, contact information, and locations
  • Diversity
  • University commitment to diversity, programs, and centers
  • Academic Related Services
  • Services to assist students with academic training, teaching, or job searches
  • Health and Wellness Services
  • Medical and mental health services, insurance, contact information, and locations
  • Food Services
  • A description of campus food services and locations
  • Child Care: A listing of options on- and off-campus
  • International Center
  • A description of programs and services aimed at international students and those interested in international student issues
  • Safety
  • Programs and services aimed at making campus safe
  • Arts
  • Arts organizations on campus, locations, and hours
  • Recreation and Sports
  • Recreation programs and facilities available to UCSD students
  • Other Services and Centers
  • UCSD Principles of Community: Guiding principles for life at UCSD
  • Nondiscrimination Policy Statement for University of California Publications Regarding Student-Related Matters
  • Academic Calendar

Suggestions for Successful Graduate Study

1. Formulate a plan. Your plan should cover all stages of your graduate career. As you begin your graduate studies, seminars, labs, independent study, preparation for qualifying exams, papers, and the final dissertation or thesis should all be planned with your ultimate academic goal in mind. Seek out guidance and feedback from faculty at an early stage. If you feel like you are getting off schedule, or feel that you are moving in an undesirable direction, talk to faculty and staff involved with your program right away. Don't succumb to academic lethargy, ask for assistance immediately.

2. Be organized. Keep accurate records. Stay on schedule. One of the most prevalent problems in higher education today is failure to complete the degree. While this may be due to a variety of reasons, it seems that disorganization can often be a factor. Be organized in whatever way is most natural and understandable to you, but keep track of where you are and where you should be in your academic timetable. By doing so, you are able to keep on schedule. Keeping good records of your work is encouraging to those with whom you work - your adviser, the faculty, and administrators. Thus, they will see in you a sincere intent to complete your academic goals.

3. Join your department "community." Being a graduate student is more than attending classes and conducting research. Attend and participate in seminars, colloquia and other department activities. Become actively involved in your department and meet all faculty.

4. Maintain a broad perspective. Graduate study is a big part of your life, but only a part. Attend social functions in and out of your department. Volunteer to organize and host graduate student get-togethers. Work hard to involve yourself at all levels to create a balance in your life. Although it may seem as though you could not possibly have time for anything else but your own studies, you should take advantage of the interdisciplinary opportunities available in an academic community. By doing so, you stand to gain breadth and depth in your educational and personal development.

5. Take these steps when problems arise. If you are faced with a problem involving any matter of an academic nature you should first attempt to resolve it through consultation with the graduate coordinator or graduate adviser in your department. If this method does not bring about the desired result, you should discuss it with your faculty graduate adviser. Your final step in the department would be to seek assistance from the department chair. If all departmental efforts fail, you may wish to consult with the Assistant Dean for Student Affairs or other staff in OGS as appropriate. Situations involving campus-wide services for graduate students (Career Services, Health Services, etc.) should be addressed first with the staff or director of the appropriate service unit.

6. Seek help. Don't procrastinate and don't try to do it alone. Frequently refer to the many sources of information, such as this handbook. Talk with other graduate students; even if you have been a graduate student for a few years, you may still need to hear refreshing and stimulating viewpoints. You can exchange ideas with both new and returning graduate students.

7. Get Involved. Being part of a student organization or governance body will help you become more familiar with the campus and make connections outside of your department. The Graduate Student Association is one way of doing this. Graduate students from all departments are encouraged to become familiar with, if not, actively involved in the GSA. Campus committees are filled via the GSA. Critical student issues are actively addressed in this forum. For more information contact the GSA at (858) 534-6504, ude.dscu|asg#ude.dscu|asg,


Serving on a campus-wide committee is an excellent opportunity for you to participate in the decision-making process of the University. These committees set, shape, and review policies that affect many aspects of a student's life. A few of the most important campus committees which request graduate student representation are the Graduate Council, the Registration Fee Committee, the Program Review Committee, and the Graduate Student Health Insurance Policy (GSHIP) Advisory Committee. Appointments to campus committees are made through your Graduate Student Association (GSA). A student who serves on a campus-wide committee must be in good standing.

Sources of Information

UCSD Website

UCSD departments, programs, offices and servicesn have web pages accesible through this site.

TritonLink is the official records connection for students. Using TritonLink, http://tritonlink.ucsd.edu, a student can access some of his/her academic records, view class schedules, enroll in classes, and search directories. Students must have a valid UCSD Personal Identification Number to access personal information Tritonlink .

General Catalog

The General Catalog is available online at http://www.ucsd.edu/catalog. Campus libraries and academic departments also hold copies. The catalog describes all curriculum offerings and degree requirements. Copies may be obtained at the University Bookstore. Contact the bookstore at (858) 534-7323 or order the Catalog online at http://bookstore.ucsd.edu/cgi-perl/clothingstore/merchant.cgi?product=cat10.

Schedule of Classes

The Schedule of Classes is online via TritonLink, http://tritonlink.ucsd.edu. It gives time, location, and names of instructors for all classes, detailed information on registration procedures, and description of classes that may appear in the most recent catalog.


The University sends official notices to students thru email. Every student is expected to establish an account and regularly monitor the account for official communications. Notices from departments, programs, the Financial Affairs Office, Bursars' Office, and other campus entities are considered to be delivered and students are considered notified when emails are posted to students' UCSD Email Accounts.

All graduate students are entitled to a free email account. Notices from the Office of Graduate Studies are sent to students at their UCSD email address. Many graduate students find email essential to their research and for communication with their department. Students can make an email request for books or copies of journal articles to be sent to their campus office or department. Email accounts may be obtained from academic departments or the Academic Computing Services, located on the first floor of the Applied Physics and Mathematics Building, Muir College, (858) 534-4060, http://www-acs.ucsd.edu. More information is available in the Computing Services and Facilities section of this publication.

Policy and Procedure Manual (PPM)

The PPM is the referenced index of all documents that describe University policy and changes in policy. Most instructional and research matters as well as student and administrative policies are contained in this manual. The PPM is a resource in determining whether or not appropriate procedures have been followed. The PPM is a public document and is available in academic department offices or at OGS. Also, select sections of the PPM are available via the World Wide Web at http://adminrecords.ucsd.edu/ppm/.

University of California, San Diego Student Conduct Code

The UCSD Student Conduct Code applies to campus activities, organizations, and students. The code outlines policies that govern the maintenance of conditions conducive to the achievement of the University's purpose. These campus policies specify acceptable standards of conduct for all students. Disciplinary procedures which apply to alleged violations of these standards are also described in the code which is available to students in academic departments, OGS, or the Student Policies and Judicial Affairs Office, Student Center, Building B, (858) 534-6225. Selected policies are available online at http://ugr8.ucsd.edu/judicial.

Campus Telephone Directory

UCSD publishes a directory online at InfoPath (http://www.ucsd.edu) and StudentLink (http://tritonlink.ucsd.edu), which contains telephone information for the general campus, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, the School of Medicine, and the UCSD Medical Center. Included are addresses and mail codes for various offices and personnel of the University, and names, email addresses, and phone numbers of faculty, staff and students. The printed directory is available from the Administrative Computing and Telecommunications Office (ACT), 255 Torrey Pines Center, South, (858) 534-6782/8275.

Graduate Teaching Assistant Handbook

This handbook is online at http://ctd.ucsd.edu, with information on policies, procedures, rules and regulations governing the teaching assistantship as well as guidelines for teaching assistance. It is provided by the Center for Teaching Development (CTD) to all new teaching assistants at a campus-wide TA orientation in the fall. TAs who do not attend the fall orientation should contact CTD, OGS or their department for a printed copy. It is essential that TAs receive the information on TA appointments and financial matters, such as tax status, insurance, etc. before beginning their TAship. Part II, Handbook for Teaching Assistance, is designed to help students become efficient and effective TAs and can be used as a guide throughout their teaching career.

Welcome to UCSD

Published for new graduate students, this booklet lists resources and procedures for students as they arrive on the UCSD campus for the first time. Included are lists of campus and community resources for housing, childcare, recreation and academics. Available from academic departments, OGS and online at http://ogsr.ucsd.edu/welcome .

Student Publications

A variety of student publications exist on campus including The Guardian, the official student newspaper. For a full listing of student publications contact the Student Organizations and Leadership Opportunities (SOLO) office on the third floor of the Price Center, (858) 534-0501, http://solo.ucsd.edu.

Grad to Grad

The Grad to Grad newsletter is a quarterly student publication geared specifically for UCSD graduate students for the purpose of keeping students informed about issues, events, services and facilities which directly relate to graduate student life. The current issue is available online at http://ogsr.ucsd.edu/studentpublications/Grad_to_Grad.

Grad Notes

Grad Notes is a monthly email publication listing relevant deadlines, upcoming programs, and useful campus resources. Also available online at http://ogsr.ucsd.edu/announcements and through departments.

Graduate Student Association (GSA)

The GSA is the officially recognized graduate student government at UCSD. It represents The School of Pharmacy and the Rady School of Management, all graduate and medical students-including those at Scripps Institution of Oceanography (SIO), the School of Medicine and the School of International Relations and Pacific Studies (IR/PS). The GSA is comprised of two representatives from each department, an internal board, and a president. An important function of the GSA is the appointment of graduate student representatives to UCSD campus-wide committees. A student who serves on a campus committee must be in good standing. Committee representatives report to the GSA so that coordinated and effective action can be taken for the benefit of all graduate students. Another function of the GSA is to allocate funds for various graduate student projects. Requests for funding must be made in writing through the departmental representatives or directly to the GSA. The GSA also sponsors orientations, social and cultural events. Bi-monthly open meetings are held to which all graduate students are invited. Students with ideas or concerns can bring them to the GSA office, located in the first floor of the Old Student Center next to the AS Soft Reserves, mail code 0353, or call the GSA at (858) 534-6504, ude.dscu|asg#ude.dscu|asg. GSA events and meetings are listed online at http://gsa.ucsd.edu.

Graduate Student Departmental Representatives

In a number of departments, graduate students have the opportunity to sit in on departmental faculty meetings, which are useful sources of information regarding faculty and departmental decisions on matters relating to students. Fellow graduate students elect representatives for this purpose. In addition, some departments also have student councils.

Departmental Graduate Adviser

The departmental graduate adviser has specific and detailed knowledge about departmental and general graduate student regulations and the degree to which they are enforced. Students who have concerns or questions about the department and its policies should contact the graduate adviser.

Departmental Graduate Coordinator

The departmental graduate coordinator is a knowledgeable and reliable source of information within the academic department. He or she can provide information about all matters related to the department and rules and regulations pertaining to graduate study.

Graduate Student Intern, OGS

Each year the Office of Graduate Studies (OGS) selects one outstanding graduate student to serve as a student advocate and consultant to the administration. Besides involvement in administrative decisions regarding graduate education at UCSD, the Intern carries out projects to enhance the quality of graduate student life, and serve as the editor for the campus-wide graduate student newsletter, Grad to Grad. The Intern works closely with the OGS and the Graduate Student Association. During the period of acclimation to UCSD, the Intern can serve as a valuable resource person for graduate students. Contact the Intern at (858)534-6230 or by email at ude.dscu|nretni-rsgo#ude.dscu|nretni-rsgo.

Beginning Graduate Study-Things to Consider


The Department of Housing and Dining Services operates several housing complexes. Brief descriptions of the housing complexes are provided below. To be eligible for a housing lease, a student must be enrolled in a university recognized, degree granting program, and carry at least twelve (12) units per quarter.

The Residential Apartments are for couples, families, and single graduate/medical students in the Mesa and Coast apartment complexes. All apartments have stove, refrigerator and window coverings. Each apartment is prewired for cable TV. Coast apartments also have internet connections. Residents may arrange for telephone service directly with the telephone company. Both facilities provide coin-operated laundry rooms. An individual storage space is provided in the buildings for each apartment. (Note: this storage does not accommodate large appliances.) Community rooms are available by reservation. A limited amount of garden space is available and coordinated by a resident committee. All of the apartments are located in a grassy park-like setting. Playground areas for children and an outdoor sports area are located at the Mesa complex, providing courts for tennis, basketball and volleyball. The campus is easily accessible from both complexes via bicycle paths or the San Diego Transit System. There is a new shuttle service from Mesa housing to SIO and another shuttle to campus. Each one runs every 15 minutes. Details of all shuttles can be found at http://blink.ucsd.edu/go/splashtps.

La Jolla del Sol is a condominium-style community owned by UCSD in a prime location just minutes from campus. Its one-bedroom and two-bedroom units feature full size washer and dryer, refrigerator, dishwasher, stove and ceiling fan. All units are prewired for cable and feature private patios or balconies. Second- and third-floor units have wood burning fireplaces. La Jolla del Sol is a gated community and there is assigned covered parking for most units. Residents enjoy the use of two solar heated pools and adjoining spas, two lighted tennis courts and weight room. Doyle Community Park is just across the street, and shopping malls and grocery stores are all within walking distance.

Single Graduate Apartments consists of 50 on-campus apartments for single graduate and medical students. Located on the Warren College campus, these apartments are the only facilities available to graduate students on the main campus. All apartments have four single bedrooms and a shared living room, dining, kitchen and bath area. Units are fully furnished with the exception of personal linen and cooking utensils. All utilities are included in the rental rate. Apartments are cable ready. Each apartment houses four single students and each student signs his/her own twelve-month lease with the University. There are no provisions in the apartments for washer/dryers or dishwashers, nor are there facilities for storing major items or appliances. Laundry facilities are, however, conveniently located on the first floor of each building. Pets are not allowed under any circumstances. Residents can walk, ride bikes or take the free campus shuttle to labs and lectures. Residents may establish individual phone service directly with the phone company.

For more information and to apply for housing, visit the website at http://hds.ucsd.edu/hsgaffil.

Housing Update Cards

Because the waiting period for each housing complex varies, the University maintains a list of students in need of University housing. This list is maintained according to the date that the student's valid application is received in the Mesa Residential Apartments Office. Update cards are sent out to each student on the interest list in March and October. If a student's update is not returned, his/her name will be dropped from the list. It is the student's responsibility to contact the housing office regarding continued interest and any changes in address or telephone number. Offers for housing contracts are made by telephone. Due to high demand, there can be an extensive waiting list for students wishing to obtain University housing. Students who are interested in University housing should contact the office as soon as possible.

Grad Housing Opportunities Listserv

The housing listserv is especially for UCSD graduate students who have off-campus or on-campus housing needs or housing opportunities to share. Students post their own messages regarding housing needs. To subscribe or unsubscribe from the listserv, visit http://lists.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/grad-housing-op-l. Current subscribers can also access an archive of past list postings. If you have questions or trouble subscribing to the grad housing listserv, contact the OGS Intern at ecnO.ude.dscu|nretni-rsgo#ecnO.ude.dscu|nretni-rsgo you are on the listserv, send your messages by email to ude.dscu.stsil|l-po-gnisuoh-darg#ude.dscu.stsil|l-po-gnisuoh-darg.

Off-Campus Housing

Off-Campus Housing is a rental referral and housing information resource center for students, faculty, staff and alumni of the University of California. This office receives and maintains up-to-date available rentals from people in the community within the areas surrounding campus.

The purpose of Off-Campus Housing is to inform and educate students about housing options and provide information on how to be a responsible tenant. Registered students can access the listings at the website http://offcampushousing.ucsd.edu and through TritonLink (http://tritonlink.ucsd.edu), using their PID and PAC numbers.

Off-Campus Housing is located in Student Center A , Suite 200. Office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday (858) 534-3670.

Transportation and Parking Services

Parking on the UCSD campus, like most other universities, can be a problem; there is a shortage of parking spaces and tickets are regularly issued to all illegally parked vehicles. Parking permits are required for all motor vehicles, including motorcycles and mopeds, parked on University property (including quarter breaks and other times when classes are not in session). In designated places, permits are required from 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.; Monday through Friday, except on University-designated holidays and weekends. Daily parking permits are $6.00 and can be purchased at either the Gilman or North Point Visitor Information Centers. Metered parking is also available.

At the beginning of each fall quarter there is a Grace Period of approximately one-week, which allows drivers to park in "S" (yellow-striped) spaces without a parking permit. After this time, a parking permit is required. Permits can be purchased from the Parking Office, Gilman Drive Parking Structure, level 1, (858) 534-4223. Permits are available on an annual or quarterly basis and can also be purchased on a pro-rated basis once the quarter has begun.

Graduate Students are eligible to purchase one of two types of parking permits:

1. Student permit - "S" permit valid in yellow spaces. Yellow spaces are located in outlying lots.

2. Staff permit - "B" permit valid in green and yellow spaces. Green spaces are somewhat closer to campus than yellow spaces, but staff permits are slightly more expensive than student permits.

When purchasing a parking permit, students have the option of paying the full amount or being billed quarterly. However, if for some reason a student must leave school, he/she must cancel the parking permit in person in order to receive a refund for the unused portion. Annual "S" and "B" permits are currently $588.00 and $792.00. Quarterly "S" and "B" permits are currently $168.00 and $225.00, respectively. These prices are subject to change. There are also a variety of special permits including night, quarterly, and occasional use (which provides 10-days of parking per calendar period). For further information call Transportation and Parking Services at (858) 534-4223 or visit the website at http://blink.ucsd.edu/go/splashtps.

Rideshare Operations

All UCSD commuters are encouraged to find alternatives to driving and parking their cars on campus. A number of money-saving rideshare programs have been developed for commuting students. Rideshare Operations can help commuters decide which form of transportation is right for them. Transit systems, bicycles, vanpools, carpools, and shuttles are just some of the transportation options available to the commuting student. Many of the alternatives offer a free emergency ride home and up to 10 days of complimentary parking per quarter. Contact the Rideshare desk in the Parking office on level 1 of the Gilman Drive Parking Structure, (858) 534-RIDE (7433) for program details.

Campus Shuttle Services-Loops, East Parking and Regents Lots

Shuttles operate for UCSD faculty, staff, students and visitors. Four loop buses provide service to twenty locations every 10 minutes. Service is provided from 7:00 a.m. to midnight, Monday though Friday, excluding university holidays or during academic breaks. North parking service begins at 7:00 a.m. and ends at 9:15 p.m. Buses depart from The Peterson Hall area and go to the North Parking Lots, 355, 356, and 357. After 9:15 p.m., North Lot service is provided by the clockwise loop shuttle until midnight. Two shuttles run from the Price Center to East Lots 701 and 702. An additional four shuttles run to Regents Lots 703, 704 and 705.

Campus/Medical Center Hillcrest Shuttles

Shuttles from campus to Medical Center in Hillcrest run Monday through Friday, excluding university holidays from lot P601 in front of the Biomedical Library, and leave from the Medical Center shuttle stop west of the Dickinson Street entrance. The Campus/Medical Center Hillcrest shuttle also stops at the Veterans Administration Medical Center approximately two minutes after every campus departure.

Scripps Institution of Oceanography

The campus shuttles provide services between the campus and SIO Monday through Friday, excluding university holidays. Departures are every half-hour between 7:15 a.m. and 9:00 p.m. from campus to SIO. Details of all shuttles can be found at http://blink.ucsd.edu/go/splashtps. Shuttle stops are at Mandeville Auditorium, Revelle Parking, Aquarium Museum, Nierenberg Hall, IGPP, and Director's Office.

Mesa Housing Shuttle

Shuttles from campus to Medical Center La Jolla and Mesa Housing run from Monday through Friday, excluding university holidays. Departures are every half-hour from 7:15 a.m. to 12:15 a.m. Details of all shuttles and shuttles stops can be found at http://blink.ucsd.edu/go/splashtps.

Campus Coaster Shuttle

The Campus Coaster shuttles from Sorrento Valley to campus run Monday through Friday, excluding university holidays. Sorrento Valley service begins at 5:54 a.m. and stops at Gilman/Myers, Mandeville Auditorium and Gilman/Osler (five stops in the morning and five stops in the evening).

City Shuttle

The Cityshuttle connects the UCSD campus with a portion of local off-campus housing and shopping malls. The service operates from 7:00 a.m. to 12:15 a.m., Monday through Friday, during the academic year (excluding quarter breaks and university holidays) and stops at Mandeville Auditorium, Nobel/Lebon and UTC/Macy's.

For more information regarding all shuttle services call (858) 534-6282 or email ude.dscu|selttuhs#ude.dscu|selttuhs, or http://blink.ucsd.edu/go/splashtps.

Enrollment and Registration

Enrollment and registration materials for new and continuing graduate students are available in departmental offices. Students should check with their academic department for changes in the Schedule of Classes before registering. The General Catalog, available at the UCSD Bookstore by ordering online at http://bookstore.ucsd.edu/cgi-perl/clothingstore/merchant.cgi?product=cat10, contains detailed course descriptions. The Catalog and Schedule of Classes are available online via TritonLink http://tritonlink.ucsd.edu on UCSD's Infopath http://www.ucsd.edu, http://www.registrar.ucsd.edu, http://www.ucsd.edu/catalog.

After enrolling (signing up for classes) or registering (paying fees), students obtain a photo I.D. card from the Campus Card Services Office, 201 University Center, (858) 534-4322.

Enrollment Procedure

Continuing Students

Students may enroll for classes, any time during Priority online by using WebReg, which can be accessed via TritonLink, http://tritonlink.ucsd.edu. The Office of the Registrar issues a Personal Access Code (PAC) number to graduate students. Students who do not use WebReg may complete an Enrollment Form and file it with the Office of the Registrar, 301 University Center, any time during enrollment periods. The quarterly Schedule of Classes contains specific instructions on web registration, Add/Drop Cards, restrictions, hours and deadlines.

New Students

New students may enroll via WebReg after receiving adviser approval, or may complete an Enrollment Form and file it with the Office of the Registrar. New graduate students should check with their department regarding registration.

Note to Fellowship, Scholarship, Traineeship Holders:

Fellowship, Scholarship or Traineeship holders should visit their department, group or school graduate coordinator for information on method of payment and amount of the award. Fees and tuition awarded to pay registration fees will be credited to the graduate student's account and appear on the statement as a payment or credit. Each award recipient should carefully check the amounts listed on the statement against the graduate award letter and contact the Office of Graduate Studies immediately at (858) 534-6464 if there is a discrepancy. In order to complete registration, students who have a partial fee and/or tuition award must pay the balance of the award by the fee deadline at the Central Cashier's Office, 401 University Center, from 8:30 a.m. to3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Validation of Registration

Continuing Students registering (paying fees) in person should present their photo I.D. card at the time of payment. New students who do not have a photo I.D. card at the time they pay fees should go to the Campus Card Services Office, Building 201 University Center to obtain one from 8:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.


Enrollment and registration deadlines are scheduled for the same day and must be met to avoid penalties. These deadlines are listed in the Schedule of Classes and the website http://ogsr.ucsd.edu/deadlines. Late fees will be charged for missing these deadlines-do not wait to receive a statement from the Bursar's Office. All fees (including late fees) must be paid in full by the end of the second week of instruction to avoid cancellation of classes. Reinstatement in classes after cancellation requires departmental and OGS approval, in addition to payment of late fees. If fees are not paid by the end of the fourth week of instruction, students will have their enrollment cancelled permanently for the quarter. Students who enroll late, regardless of the source of their fees payment, will be charged $100.00 late fees. Fees paid by the department of other award are not credited to a student's account until the student enrolls.

Office of Graduate Studies

OGS is located in buildings 518 and 520, University Center, on the east end of campus. The office is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM- 4:30 PM. For information and general questions contact OGS at (858) 534-3678. For maps of campus, maps.ucsd.edu. For a directory of the Office of Graduate Studies, see here.

OGS fax numbers: 534-3868 and 534-4722

++Academic Information and Policies

+++Graduate Courses
Graduate courses are listed in the Schedule of Classes in the 200 series; they may be conducted in any of several ways:
as advanced lecture courses, as seminars in which faculty and students present critical studies of selected problems within the subject field, as independent reading or study courses under faculty supervision,
as research units. Graduate students may also take upper-division undergraduate courses, 100-197 series, as partial satisfaction of the requirements for the graduate degree.

+++Good Standing Requirements
A student in good standing meets the University criteria for scholarship, which are based on the student's grade-point average (GPA) and departmental reviews. As a graduate student, you must maintain a 3.0 cumulative GPA in all upper division and graduate level coursework, and have no more than eight units of F and/or U, unless the department's requirements are more stringent.

All Ph.D., D.M.A. and M.F.A. students are to have an annual written evaluation from the academic department; evaluations are to be completed by the last day of the spring quarter. The purpose of the evaluation is to inform students of their strengths, weaknesses, and scholastic progress, as well as to encourage communication between students and faculty. Students are permitted to add their comments to these evaluations before signing them. The student's signature on the evaluation testifies to his/her knowledge of the assessment but does not necessarily signify agreement with the evaluation.

Good standing is a requirement to:
retain academic and staff appointments, retain fellowship, scholarship, or traineeship appointments ,
advance to candidacy for a graduate degree, take a leave of absence, receive a graduate degree from UCSD ,
participate in the University Extension Complimentary Enrollment Program .

+++UCSD Policy on Integrity of Scholarship and Research
The policies listed in the website <http://www-senate.ucsd.edu/manual/appendices/app2.htm> apply to academic course work for all graduate students. A separate policy exists governing integrity of research, the contents of which can be found at <http://ogsr.ucsd.edu/ethics/policy/ucsd_policy.htm>.

+++Full-Time Study
A full-time student must be registered for at least twelve units each quarter of each academic year until the completion of all requirements for the degree. Failure to register or take a leave of absence constitutes withdrawal from graduate studies.

+++Half-Time/Part-Time Study
A half-time student is approved by the Dean of Graduate Studies to enroll in six units or fewer and is eligible for reduced fees. To be eligible for reduced fees, a student must file the petition for half-time study with OGS no later than the last day of the second week of the quarter. The student must have departmental approval to study half-time. A half-time/part-time graduate student may hold an academic or staff appointment of 25% time or less. A part-time student is enrolled in seven to eleven units per quarter and is considered a regular student and charged full-time fees. International students are required to be enrolled in twelve (12) units per quarter to maintain their visa status.

+++Grading Policy and Procedures
Students should give particular attention to the policies and procedures relating to the following grade options: Incomplete (I), In Progress (IP), and No Report/No Record (NR). Failure to follow grading policies and procedures can lead to unnecessary hardships, such as jeopardizing continued financial support at UCSD. Official grading policy information is contained in the UCSD Catalog.

++++The Incomplete (I) Grade

If a student is doing passing work in a course but is unable to complete the work at the end of the quarter for legitimate reasons (circumstances beyond the student's control), the instructor may assign the Incomplete (I) grade. Legitimate justification for petitioning for the I grade is illness or family crisis. Unacceptable reasons are lack of time, research too lengthy and other controllable circumstances. To receive an I grade, a student must file a Request to Receive Grade Incomplete and Removal of Grade Incomplete petition prior to the end of the final week in the quarter in which the course is taken. Students should obtain forms from their graduate coordinators. Without the petition, the I grade cannot be assigned.

In order to remove the I grade, the required work must be completed and a grade assigned prior to the end of the final week of the following quarter. It is the student's responsibility to get the work completed and submitted to the instructor on time. In addition, the student should check with the departmental graduate coordinator to ensure that the grade has been assigned.

In truly extenuating circumstances, a General Petition to extend the Incomplete for another quarter may be filed. The petition for extension must indicate the reason for the extension, be signed by the instructor and the chairperson of the department. The petition must be submitted to OGS for consideration by the Dean prior to the end of the final week of the quarter following that in which the first petition was filed.

If an I grade is neither removed nor extended prior to the end of the final week of the following quarter, the I grade will lapse to a Fail (F) or Unsatisfactory (U) grade. Extensions on I grades will not be made retroactively.

If a student takes a leave of absence, he/she must still remove any outstanding Incomplete grades before the end of the first quarter of leave. It is the student's responsibility to make sure that all proper forms have been completed.

++++The In Progress (IP) Grade

If a sequence course has been approved for an In Progress (IP) grading option, the IP grade may be assigned until the work is completed for the sequence. If an IP grade has not been replaced by a final grade at the time of graduation, the IP grade will remain on the student's records. If the entire sequence is not completed, the instructor may assign grades and unit credit for what has been completed. Courses graded IP are not used in calculating a student's grade point average until graduation. At that time, course units still graded IP must be treated as units attempted in calculating the GPA; thus units graded IP will have the same effect on the overall GPA as an F or U.

++++The No Report/No Record (NR) Grade

If a blank appears on the transcript, it means that the Registrar did not receive a grade for the student on the grading sheet submitted by the instructor. Some reasons for this are 1) the grading options for the course did not correlate with the grade that the instructor assigned, 2) the student may have entered an incorrect course code on the enrollment request, thus, he/she is enrolled in the wrong course, or 3) the instructor did not report a grade.

It is the student's responsibility to remove a No Report/No Record (NR) grade before the end of the following quarter or it lapses to an F or U grade. Filing a Correction of Grade Caused by Clerical or Procedural Error form may do this. An NR grade, which has lapsed to an F or U grade, cannot be changed. Be sure to seek assistance from the graduate coordinator to make certain a NR grade is cleared.

+++Grade Appeal Procedures
Students may find procedures for appealing grades athttp://www-senate.ucsd.edu/manual/Regulations/PartI/502.htm and in the Conflict Resolution and Student Academic Appeals section of this handbook.

++Transcripts/Academic Records
Students may view their academic record on TritonLink, http://tritonlink.ucsd.edu. Each student can review his/her academic record at any time via TritonLink. Students are advised to check their grades following each quarter posting.

OGS often receives requests from graduate students to provide transcripts of undergraduate or previous degrees, but is unable to comply with this request. Several copies of the transcript may be ordered from the institution in question to keep in a student's personal files for advising and academic purposes. It is also a good idea to keep one copy sealed in the envelope in which it was received in order to have an "official" copy.

++Degree Requirements
As a student goes through the steps required for completion of the Ph.D., D.M.A., M.F.A., M.S., M.A., M.A.S., M.P.I.A., M.Eng., or M.Ed. degrees, he/she may find it useful to pay close attention to the requirements below. All the necessary forms are available in the academic department and must be initiated there. Each form has specific instructions. Be sure to read each carefully. It is the student's responsibility to file forms in the appropriate offices after obtaining the required signatures.

++Time Limits to the Doctoral Degree

All students in doctoral programs are subject to campus policy on time limits to the doctoral degree. The policy established by each department and approved by the Graduate Council contains three time limits as described below. For specific time limits applicable to a graduate program, students should consult with the department graduate coordinator.

1. Pre-candidacy time limit - maximum registered time in which a student must advance to candidacy.

2. Support time limit - the maximum registered time during which a doctoral student is eligible for financial support. The time accrues regardless of support given.

3. Total registered time limit - the maximum registered time in which a student must complete all requirements for the doctoral degree.

Students who have not advanced by the expiration of their pre-candidacy time limit will not be permitted to register. Students will not be permitted to receive UCSD-administered financial support after the expiration of the support time limit. Students may not register after the expiration of the total registered time limits. All unexpired time limits can be extended for a maximum of three (3) quarters for an approved leave of absence or period of withdrawal.

+++Normative Time

Normative time limit is a standard established for the time period in which students, under normal circumstances, are expected to complete requirements for the doctoral degree. At present (academic year 2003-2004) students who advance to candidacy in less than the normative time are eligible for an In-Candidacy Fee Grant for the remainder of the normative time.

++Doctoral Degree Requirements

1. Departmental language requirement (if applicable).

2. Appointment of the Doctoral Committee - The department requests approval for the appointment of the doctoral committee by the Dean of Graduate Studies. OGS reviews nominees, gives the final approval of the committee, and issues letters of confirmation. Consult the departmental graduate coordinator or the academic affairs staff at OGS for further details.

3. Report of the Qualifying Examination and Advancement to Candidacy - The department prepares the form which must be presented to the Central Cashier's Office along with the candidacy fee. After validation by the cashier, the form must be filed at OGS where it is then reviewed for approval. OGS will send the student a copy of "Instructions for Preparation and Submission of Doctoral Dissertations and Masters' Theses" also referred to as the "Blue Book".

If a department awards a candidate in philosophy (C.Phil.) degree, the student should obtain the degree and diploma application from the graduate coordinator, complete it, and attach it to the Report of the Qualifying Examination and Advancement to Candidacy form. The C.Phil. cannot be awarded after the doctoral degree.

Doctoral Degree Filing Requirements

The Report of the Final Examination and Filing of the Dissertation is a form initiated by the department, group, or school, signed by members of the doctoral committee, and the chair of the (major) department, group, or school. The report and the signature page for the dissertation are usually signed at the time of the dissertation defense. Detailed information regarding the submission of the dissertation can be found in the "Blue Book". The "Blue Book," Instructions for Preparation and Submission of Doctoral Dissertations & Masters Thesis is available online at http://ogsr.ucsd.edu/academicpolicy.

M.F.A. Requirements

The application for Candidacy for the Modified Thesis, Plan III must be completed, signed, dated and

returned by the student to the department graduate coordinator. The department will approve the form and forward it to OGS for approval. This form must be submitted to OGS no later than the end of the second week in the quarter in which the student will receive the degree. The "Blue Book" will be sent to the student.

The Final Report of the Modified Thesis Examination, Plan III must be filed with OGS. At least one quarter must lapse between advancement to candidacy and filing this report. The department prepares the form using the student's name, as it will appear on the diploma. After the thesis is approved, the committee signs the final report. The final thesis report, degree and diploma application, the original signature page, and the thesis must then be presented to OGS. Students should consult the "Blue Book" and the department graduate coordinator for detailed information regarding preparation and submission of the thesis.

M.S., M.A., Requirements

A minimum of three (3) quarters of academic residency is required to be awarded a degree. The Application for Candidacy for the Thesis or Comprehensive Examination, Plan I or II for must be filed with OGS. The student must have completed a minimum of two quarters of academic residency and any departmental language study requirement prior to candidacy. Students should consult the department for specific unit and course requirements. Plan I is the thesis plan. Plan II is the comprehensive examination plan. The department approves forms and forwards all copies to OGS for verification and approval. Forms must be submitted to OGS before the end of the second week in the quarter in which the degree is to be completed.

The "Blue Book," Instructions for Preparation and Submission of Doctoral Dissertations & Masters Thesis is available online at http://ogsr.ucsd.edu/academicpolicy.

The Final Report of the Thesis or Comprehensive Examination, Plan I or Plan II must be filed with OGS upon the completion of the thesis or comprehensive exam. At least one quarter must lapse between advancement to candidacy and filing this report. The department prepares forms using the student's name as it will appear on the diploma.

Plan I: The thesis is approved and the committee signs the final report and signature pages. Students should consult the "Blue Book" for detailed information regarding submission of the thesis.

Plan II: After the examination is complete, the department forwards the final report and the degree and diploma application to OGS.

M.A.S. Requirements

The Final Report for the Degree of Master of Advanced Studies and the Degree and Diploma Application are filed with OGS at the end of the quarter in which the student graduates. Students should consult the Leadership and Health Care Organizations graduate coordinator for further information.

M.P.I.A. Requirements

The Final Report for the Degree of Master of Pacific International Affairs and the Degree and Diploma Application are filed with OGS at the end of the quarter in which the student graduates. Students should consult the IR/PS graduate coordinator for further information.

M. Eng. Requirements

The Final Report for the Degree of Master of Engineering and the Degree and Diploma Application are filed with OGS at the end of the quarter in which the student graduates. Students should consult with the department graduate coordinator for further information.

++ M.Ed. Requirements

The Final Report for the Degree of Master of Education and the Degree and Diploma Application are filed with OGS at the end of the quarter in which the student graduates. Students should consult the Teacher Education graduate coordinator for further information.

Degree and Diploma Application for all Graduate Degrees

The student should obtain this form from the department graduate coordinator, complete and return it to the department showing his/her name exactly as it should appear on the diploma, which must match the name on the student's academic records. The form must be submitted to OGS with the final report.

Diploma Conferral

The Ph.D., D.M.A., M.F.A., M.S., M.A., M.A.S., M.P.I.A., M.Eng., or M.Ed. diploma will be dated as of the last day of the quarter in which all requirements, including current course work, are satisfactorily completed. Spring degree candidates wishing to participate in commencement, must have all paperwork processed one week before the last day of the quarter. Diplomas will be mailed by the Registrar's Office four to six months after the close of the quarter in which the degree was conferred. A Letter of Completion, which confirms that all degree requirements have been met, will be available within two weeks of filing the final paperwork for the doctoral, M.F.A. or Master's Plan I degrees, provided that there is no coursework to be completed. Master's Plan II letters will be available within one month of the quarter's end.

Doctoral Research Advisers

Selection of the doctoral research adviser is an integral step in the student's academic career. The adviser, who serves as chair of the doctoral committee, will guide the student through his/her doctoral research to completion of the degree. Students are advised to enter into the student/adviser relationship carefully and only after they have given considerable thought to their own advising needs. The time schedule for matching up with an adviser varies by department. In some instances, students will have an adviser by the beginning of the second year, at other times they may not have an adviser until advancement to candidacy.

Several criteria may be used for selection of an adviser. It is best if a student thinks out his/her expectations of an adviser before approaching the faculty member. The faculty member's intellectual and academic interests should closely match the student's. The work style and personality of the adviser also needs to be compatible with the student's. Students who want frequent contact with their adviser need to choose a person who is readily available. Some professors with greater status tend to have less discretionary time. The trade-off for working with them may be that the student must work more on his/her own than preferred. Conversely, professors with greater status also have more contacts, both on and off campus and may be particularly helpful when it comes time for job placement.

When selecting an adviser, a student should have several conversations with that faculty member to determine if the relationship is a good match. The student also should talk to other students who have the same adviser, weighing their judgment carefully, as personality and work styles differ among students. Find out how problem solving, time, and conflict resolution have worked out with this adviser.

Doctoral Committees

A doctoral committee consists of five or more officers of instruction, no fewer than four of whom shall hold professorial titles of any rank. The committee members shall be chosen from two or more departments; at least two members shall represent academic specialties that differ from the student's field and one of these two must be a tenured UCSD faculty member from another department.

Selection of a committee needs to be made in close consultation with the committee chair. Selection of members should be from faculty who have similar research interests to the student's, and who will understand the research and be able to make positive contributions to it. Graduate Council policy states that the graduate research adviser should guide the search for other faculty to serve on a student's doctoral committee. In many instances, however, students seek committee members on their own.

The student's adviser recommends the proposed committee to the department chair who, in turn, recommends appointment of the committee to the Dean of Graduate Studies. Once approved, the student and the committee members will receive written confirmation. A department chair may disapprove a doctoral committee.

Questions regarding the specific details of committee eligibility and selection should be directed to the departmental graduate coordinator or to the academic affairs staff at OGS.

Leave of Absence and Withdrawal

Graduate students are eligible for a maximum of three quarters of leave with departmental approval. A student who leaves the University for no more than three quarters with the intention of resuming study during a later quarter must file a formal Leave of Absence, Extension and/or Withdrawal form prior to leaving the campus. Graduate students must have completed at least one quarter of academic residence and be in good standing (GPA 3.0 minimum or equivalent and no more than eight units of U or F grades) to be granted a leave. A student on leave of absence status cannot make use of University facilities or faculty time, be employed at UCSD, UCSD Medical Center or UC Extension, or hold a fellowship, traineeship, assistantship, or similar appointment at UCSD.

Foreign Students on a Leave of Absence

Under normal conditions, a foreign student is not permitted to go on a leave of absence. Immigration regulations require that the student must be enrolled in a full-time course of study for the duration of the student's stay in the United States. Exceptions may be granted under the following circumstances. All requests for a leave of absence for foreign students require International Center approval prior to OGS consideration. The usual requirements of departmental approval and campus regulations apply.

Students who have advanced to Master's or PhD candidacy may apply for a leave for research or employment related to their research purposes. The International Center requires a copy of the OGS approved advancement form and a letter from the department stating the purpose of the leave prior to consideration of the leave request.

If the student is leaving the country, International Center approval is usually automatic and the student does not need a department letter.

Parental Leave of Absence

A graduate student who is bearing a child or who has primary responsibility for the care of an infant or young child immediately following the birth or adoption of a child under age five is eligible for up to three (3) quarters of parental leave. During the quarter in which the childbirth or adoption occurs, the graduate student may, with departmental approval, continue to register as a full-time student and retain eligibility for support, reduce to part-time status (less than twelve units) and be eligible for up to 25% time employment on campus, or take a leave of absence and request a one-quarter extension of all unexpired time limits. Students are entitled to no more than three quarters parenting leave, regardless of the number of children.

Leave of Absence and Filing Fee

If a student is on an approved leave of absence and has completed all requirements except the final reading of the dissertation, thesis, or the final comprehensive examination, he/she is eligible to petition to pay a filing fee in lieu of registering and paying all required fees in the final quarter. The filing fee applies to both residents and nonresidents. The student is required to file a General Petition for this purpose.

Changing Departments

Changing departments is not an automatic process. To change departments the student must submit a General Petition available from the department. The form must be completed, signed by the student's current adviser and the chairs of both departments, submitted to OGS, and approved at least one month prior to the beginning of the quarter in which the student wishes to change departments. It is advisable that the student obtain an adviser in the new department before making the change. Changing departments may be a viable alternative for a graduate career; however, one should think carefully about such a decision and discuss it with the current adviser, as well as the potential adviser in the new department. The department to which the student wishes to change may require the submission of application materials. Time limits to the doctoral degree will be affected by a departmental change.

Privacy Act Compliance

The Office of Graduate Studies, departmental, school, and group offices maintain files for each graduate student which contain a copy of the application for admission, transcripts of record, letters of recommendation, and evaluations of a student's academic progress. Students may request access to information contained in these files by presenting a written request to OGS, the department, school, or research group office.

Professional Publications

There are good reasons for completing several publications as early as possible in an academic career. First, publications are likely to help students land that first appointment. Second, appearance in journals or presentations at conference proceedings can begin to make the student's name familiar among practitioners in the field. Finally, having a few publications before accepting the first professional position will ease the pressure during the first critical years when promotion may depend on one's performance in teaching and research.

Student Conduct Code

All students are subject to the UCSD Conduct Code <http://ugr8.ucsd.edu/judicial/tblcontents_srrc.html>. These policies and procedures are administered by the Office of Student Policies and Judicial Affairs, (858) 534-6225, ude.dscu|tcudnoctneduts#ude.dscu|tcudnoctneduts.

Sexual Harassment Prevention and Policy

The Policy
The University of California, San Diego, is committed to creating and maintaining a community in which all persons who participate in UCSD programs and activities can work and learn together in an atmosphere free of all forms of harassment, exploitation, or intimidation, including sexual harassment. Every member of the UCSD community should be aware that UCSD will not tolerate sexual harassment and that such behavior is prohibited both by law and by UCSD policy. Retaliation against a person who brings a complaint of sexual harassment is also strictly prohibited and may result in separate disciplinary action. It is UCSD's intention to take whatever action may be needed to prevent, correct, and if necessary, discipline inappropriate behavior, which violates this policy. All members of the UCSD community, including faculty, students and staff, are responsible for insuring an environment free of sexual harassment.

The full UCSD policy on sexual harassment can be obtained in the Office of Sexual Harassment Prevention and Policy or online through http://oshpp.ucsd.edu.

Office of Sexual Harassment Prevention and Policy

The Office of Sexual Harassment Prevention and Policy (OSHPP) provides education to the entire UCSD community and provides assistance in investigating and resolving complaints. If you or someone you know has a question about sexual harassment, please contact the Office of Sexual Harassment Prevention and Policy (OSHPP). You may leave a confidential voicemail at (858) 534-8298, email us at ude.dscu|pphso#ude.dscu|pphso or visit us at 201 University Center on main campus at the corner of Gilman and Myers. OSHPP office hours are Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 4:30 pm. Emphasis is on prevention and early resolution.


Because complaints are most effectively resolved at the earliest possible stage, UCSD encourages those with concerns or complaints regarding sexual harassment to seek advice as early as possible by contacting OSHPP. There are many options for addressing such concerns, depending on the circumstances and you can get advice without filing a complaint. Informal resolution may include educational programs for targeted campus units or for particular individuals, or mediation between the parties. An informal resolution does not require a written complaint and it does not involve disciplinary procedures. Where informal resolution is unsuccessful or inappropriate, a request for a formal investigation may be filed with OSHPP. Such a request requires a written complaint. Records of complaints, reports and subsequent action are maintained in accordance with privacy requirements.

Title IX Coordinator
Persons who wish to bring a complaint alleging a violation of Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 may contact the Title IX Coordinator:

Lori Chamberlain, Title IX Coordinator

University of California, San Diego

9500 Gilman Drive, Mail Code 0024

La Jolla, California 92093

(858) 534-8297


Conflict Resolution and Student Appeals
Occasionally interactions between students, staff and faculty result in misunderstandings, disputes and/or differences of opinion. In the majority of instances these differences can be resolved as a result of an informal discussion between the persons involved. UCSD encourages students to promptly pursue informal action first. In instances where informal resolution is unsuccessful, students have various formal avenues for complaint resolution. Graduate students are encouraged to contact the Assistant Dean for Graduate Student Affairs in the Office of Graduate Studies for information and assistance with the resolution of conflicts.

Important Points:

· Attempt to resolve the matter informally at first. Most disputes are the result of poor communication.

· Attempt to resolve the matter immediately.

· Try to be rational and objective. Do not allow emotions to interfere with finding a resolution.

· Know your desired outcome. Be objective in this assessment.

· Keep complete and accurate notes of the situation and the steps you have taken to find a resolution. Develop a file for these documents.

· Avoid being aggressive or accusatory. This only hinders the process.

· Know the appropriate policies. Consult the departmental handbook, UCSD General Catalog, or campus policies.

Academic Appeals

Department and program faculty have primary responsibility for maintaining the excellence of graduate programs, and they are in the best position to judge their students' academic performance. A student may appeal a final exam result or course grade only if he or she believes that non-academic criteria not directly reflective of academic performance in the course were used in determining the result. As detailed more completely in the "Grade Appeal" section in the UCSD General Catalog http://www.ucsd.edu/catalog and Academic Senate Regulation 502, http://www-senate.ucsd.edu/manual/Regulations/PartI/502.htm, a student appeal of an academic performance decision should first be made to the individual faculty member or teaching assistant who made the decision and should be made within one month of the decision or within the first month of the following regular academic quarter. If this does not result in a resolution that is satisfactory to the student, he or she may appeal to the department or program chair.

Within twelve months of action by UCSD with which the student disagrees, such as denial of a right to withdraw, dropping or adding a class, or other decisions related to the student's transcript, a student may petition the Dean of Graduate Studies for review. Petitions pertaining to matters that occurred in excess of twelve months in the past shall be presented directly to the Committee on Educational Policy of the UCSD Academic Senate, available at the Academic Senate Office noted above.

A student's appeal of a grade or his or her challenge of any other academic action based on an alleged failure to provide an OSD approved accommodation for a documented disability in accordance with the UCSD Academic Senate's Policy on Students With Disabilities and Steps for Academic Accommodation must be lodged in accordance with Student Grievance procedures as outlined in the next section.

Non-Academic Appeals and Grievances
A student may appeal an action or inaction of his or her department, program, individual faculty member, or UCSD administrator. Examples include those actions taken on grounds not relating to a student's academic performance that affects a student's educational status, program of study, financial support, or access to services. Generally, non-academic decisions may only be challenged if due process was not followed in arriving at the decision or the decision was motivated by personal prejudice.

A non-academic appeal may be submitted to the department or program chair, individual faculty member, or administrator within one month of the date of learning of the action or the date that the student should have reasonably known of the action.

If an appeal to an individual faculty member or administrator is not resolved to the student's satisfaction, he or she may then submit a written appeal to the department or program chair, who shall attempt to adjudicate the case with the faculty member or administrator and the student within two weeks.

If the appeal is not resolved to the student's satisfaction, he or she may then attempt to resolve the matter through written appeal to the dean of Graduate Studies, who will attempt to adjudicate the case within two weeks. The dean may take the appeal to the Graduate Council for review, which may extend the time required to reach a final resolution.

The student's request for the dean's review should include a written statement describing the nature of the grievance, along with copies of any and all documents in his or her possession supporting the grievance. Students are encouraged to contact the assistant dean for Student Affairs in the Office of Graduate Studies for assistance with the appeal process.

Employment Appeals

A student holding an academic appointment, such as a Graduate Student Researcher, may appeal an action relating to his or her employment in accordance with appeal rights described in Academic Personnel Manual Policy 140, which is available online at http://www.ucop.edu/acadadv/acadpers/apm/apm-140.pdf. An appeal by a teaching assistant, reader, or tutor is covered by the ASE/UAW contract. These appeal procedures may be viewed online at http://ogsr.ucsd.edu/ase. UC Personnel Policy Manual, which is available online at, http://atyourservice.ucop.edu/employees/policies/staff_policies/spp70.html covers appeals by graduate students holding non-academic appointments on campus.

Other Appeals

Grievances concerning violations of student rights are covered by the Student Conduct Code grievance procedures, which are available online at http://ugr8.ucsd.edu/judicial/23_00.html#23.10. Examples of violations of students' rights include those affecting rights to privacy or protection from discrimination. These grievances are handled by the Office of Student Policies and Judicial Affairs, (858) 534-6225, ude.dscu|tcudnoctneduts#ude.dscu|tcudnoctneduts.

As with other appeals, a complaint should be made promptly to the decision-maker, if known to the student. If an appeal to an individual faculty member or administrator is not resolved to the student's satisfaction, he or she may submit a written appeal to the appropriate committee, governmental body, unit manager, supervisor or designated representative for review and disposition. Such appeal must be made not later than one hundred (100) calendar days from the date of the incident causing the grievance. If the appeal at this level is not resolved to the student's satisfaction, the appeal may be continued as described in the Student Conduct Code procedures referenced to above.

Appeal and other rights for students accused of violating UCSD policies and procedures are outlined in the UCSD Student Conduct Code http://ugr8.ucsd.edu/judicial/22_00.html.

Academic Opportunities


If, for research purposes, a student must go to another UC campus or attend a professional meeting he/she may be able to receive funds from the adviser or department to do so. All departments have money for travel purposes and they distribute it in different ways: among faculty and graduate students, or among graduate students who have advanced to candidacy. Many departments support travel within California only and often require that the sole purpose of the trip be for the presentation of a paper at a professional meeting. Inquiries about travel money should be directed to departmental graduate coordinator.

Intercampus Exchange Program

The Intercampus Exchange Program allows students to spend a quarter or more at another campus of the University of California. Initial arrangements are made between the student, the student's adviser and a faculty member of the host campus. Application for the Intercampus Exchange Program is made through OGS at least four (4) weeks prior to the beginning of the term for which the exchange is sought. If approved, the student will have access to services on the host campus. Grades for course work completed are recorded on the UCSD transcript of record. This program can provide an excellent opportunity for students to broaden the circle of contacts in their field. Contact OGS for details regarding Intercampus Exchange at (858) 534-3555.

Extension Courses

Through a reciprocal agreement with UCSD Extension, a limited number of spaces of complimentary enrollment in UCSD Extension classes are open to full-time graduate students (twelve units or more) in good standing without payment of additional fees. Only students who have not taken a free Extension course in the previous two quarters are eligible. Students should complete the UCSD Application for Enrollment form from OGS and obtain the necessary approvals. Some courses are not eligible for complementary enrollment. Information may be obtained by calling (858) 534-3555.

Registration for extension courses opens about four weeks before the start of each quarter. Information about registration can be obtained from the departmental coordinator prior to the enrollment period. The number of spaces available for each quarter varies. Complimentary spaces are filled quickly so early registration is encouraged.

Teaching an extension course may prove to be another useful academic experience for a student. Teaching through extension can compliment a TA experience and help to prepare the student for a teaching career. Unlike a Teaching Assistant, an extension instructor designs and organizes the course and assumes complete responsibility for teaching it. Because of the regulation that limits student appointment to a maximum of 50 percent time, no student is allowed to hold a position with Extension and at the same time hold a 50 percent time Teaching Assistantship or Graduate Student Researcher position. Contact UCSD Extension for additional information at (858) 534-3400.

Education Abroad Program

Arrangements can be made through this state-wide program for study on campuses worldwide including Australia, Austria, Barbados, Brazil, Canada, Costa Rica, Denmark, Egypt, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Mexico, New Zealand, People's Republic of China, Russia, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam and the United Kingdom. Complete information and application forms for the various overseas campuses may be obtained from the Programs Abroad Office, International Center, (858) 534-1123. Information is also available online by accessing International Education options at http://www.uoeap.ucsb.edu.

Graduate Student Financial Support

Graduate students receive financial support in a number of forms: graduate student researcher positions, teaching assistantships, fellowships, scholarships, loans, and/or grants-in-aid. Each type of support may have different requirements and may come under certain constraints. In order to learn the specific requirements for each award and how to apply, contact the academic department or the Student Financial Support staff at OGS, (858) 534-3724.

Institutional Funding

Awards include University fellowships, traineeships, on-campus employment and grants offered by the department as a graduate award package, and loans or need-based financial support administered by the Financial Aid Office.

Extramural Funding

These awards include extramural fellowships, traineeships and grants offered by outside organizations to which students apply directly, and off-campus employment without university affiliation.

Graduate students who are interested in national and international fellowships may obtain information online by accessing the OGS Home Page, Current Students, then Fellowship Opportunities (http://ogsr.ucsd.edu/fellowships). Many organizations require that individuals download application materials directly, or send requests for applications via U.S. Mail. In the letter requesting application materials, the student should state briefly the discipline, present stage of graduate work, degree and date, and research interests. Further information is available from the reference section of the Central University Library, Contracts and Grants, Career Services and academic departments, or the Community of Science website (http://www.cos.com).

Regents Fellowships

Regents Fellowships are offered to students with excellent academic and research qualifications. A Regents appointment is made for nine or ten months. The fellowship may provide a stipend up to $18,000, plus tax-free resident fees and nonresident tuition, if applicable.

Diversity Support

UCSD has received funding from the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the National Science Foundation (NSF) for the development and retention of underrepresented graduate students in the sciences and engineering. These programs provide graduate student support to a limited number of first-year graduate students in these fields. Support may include fees, nonresident tuition (if applicable), a stipend, and travel funds for professional conferences.

Dissertation Fellowships

Departments may offer students from one to three quarters of a dissertation award to enable them to complete dissertation research or the final writing of the dissertation.

Kenneth and Dorothy Hill Fellowship

The Kenneth and Dorothy Hill Fellowship is an award for students who are conducting a significant portion of their research in the special collections section of the Central University Library. The Hill Fellowship provides a ten-month stipend with a minimum payment of $7,500 and payment of registration fees. Funds do not permit awarding of the fellowship every year.

Tuition Scholarships

Tuition scholarships pay the nonresident tuition for distinguished entering or continuing graduate students.

Fee Scholarships

Fee scholarships pay the registration fees for distinguished entering or continuing graduate students.

TA Health Insurance (TAHI) and TA Fee Remission (TAFE)

Graduate students who have an appointment as a Teaching Assistant at a minimum of 25% for the entire quarter are eligible to have mandatory health insurance and partial fee remission paid to them. Fee payments are credited to the student's accounts. Students will have a balance due for the remainder of fees and are eligible to apply for a fee deferment through payroll deduction (see TA Fee Deferment section).

Readers and Tutors who are appointed to a minimum of 25% time for the quarter also eligible for TAHI/TAFE; however, payment is issued as a REFUND after the end of the quarter. Refunds are coordinated between the funding department and OGS.

TA Loan Fund (Available Fall Quarter Only)

The TA Loan Fund was established to assist new and continuing graduate students with funds for living expenses until they receive their first paycheck of the academic year on November 1. A graduate student holding a TA, GSR, or Associate appointment for fall quarter who has not received summer support through UCSD is eligible for this loan. Students may borrow up to one month's gross salary (in increments of $100), less whatever amount they arrange to pay for their resident fees by payroll deduction. Students repay the loan by payroll deduction in two equal deductions in December and January. There is no fee for this loan program.

TA Fee Deferment/Payroll Deduction of Resident Fees

The Fee Deferment Program permits students with a minimum 25% appointment for the quarter as a TA or Associate to pay resident fees (not nonresident tuition) by payroll deduction, as long as their appointment extends through the end of the quarter. Applications may be obtained through the graduate coordinator. For further information contact the graduate coordinator in the department or OGS, (858) 534-6562.

In-Candidacy Fee Offset Grant

The In-Candidacy Fee Offset Grant is intended to provide incentive for timely advancement to candidacy and completion of doctoral requirements. Each department has established a normative time for completion of a Ph.D. degree program. At the present time, when a student advances to Ph.D. candidacy and is within the normative time, the educational portion of fees will be paid for the student. Students should contact their departmental graduate coordinator for additional information on In-Candidacy Fee Offset Grants.

Graduate Student Research Grants

Graduate student research grants are available to assist registered graduate students with expenses related to their research or creative activity for which there are no state, extramural, or intercampus travel funds available. First priority is given to advanced graduate students working on their Ph.D. dissertations, M.P.I.A. or M.F.A. theses. Grants can be used for most research expenses, excluding computing costs and costs associated with preparing the final copy of the dissertation. The maximum grant is currently $1,000.00 for research in the U.S. or for an M.P.I.A. or M.F.A. project; $1500 for research outside the U.S. A 10 percent minimum matching amount is required of the student's major department. All funds must be expended by June 30, following the date of the award. Applications for these grants are made at the student's major department/school/group.

Travel Grants

Travel grants are available for registered graduate students to present their own papers or artistic works at a meeting of a recognized learned society. Travel monies are granted for transportation expense only and may not exceed $500.

A 10 percent minimum matching amount is required from the student's major department/school/group. All funds must be expended by June 30, following the date of the award. Applications for these grants are made at the student's major department/school/group.

Need-Based and Unsubsidized Loans

The Federal Stafford (Subsidized and Unsubsidized), Federal Perkins, and University Loan eligibility is determined through the financial aid application process. See the section, "Financial Aid Office" for application information or stop by the Financial Aid Office, located in Building 201, University Center, (858) 534-3807, http://orpheus.ucsd.edu/finaid.

Short-Term Student Emergency Loan

All registered students who are not currently receiving need-based financial aid (Federal Perkins Loan, University Loan, Minimum Grant, or Opportunity Grant) are eligible to apply to this short-term emergency loan. Limited funds are loaned in small amounts to help students in critical short-term emergencies, and usually must be repaid within thirty days. There currently is a service charge of $20.00 per emergency loan, and students must be enrolled in at least six units. Applications and further information are available from the Financial Aid Office.

On-campus and Academic Appointments

To accept campus appointments, students must meet the basic requirements as follows:

Be registered full-time (twelve units or more) to be employed 50% time (20 hours per week) during the academic year. During the summer (mid-June to mid-September), some departments allow appointments up to 100% time. Students registered in a part-time program (fewer than twelve units) are eligible for 25% time appointments.

Be in good academic standing.

Be within departmental support time limit.

These are general requirements. Departments may have additional requirements, so students should seek departmental approval prior to accepting a University appointment. Contact OGS at (858) 534-3727 or the departmental graduate coordinator for further information on employment as a graduate student.

Need-Based Grants

Graduate Minimum Grants and Opportunity Grants are awarded to eligible students who qualify based on financial need as determined by the financial aid application process through Student Financial Services.

Financial Aid Office

The graduate division of Student Financial Services administers all need-based financial aid for graduate students.

This includes Federal Stafford loans (Subsidized and Unsubsidized) and Graduate Opportunity grants. All other financial support for graduate students is detailed in Section V, Graduate Student Financial Support.

All students interested in need-based financial aid must submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Entering students can obtain a paper application from Financial Aid Office, or may file electronically at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov.

Continuing students who filed a FAFSA application for the previous year were mailed a Personal Identification Number (PIN) in January to renew their FAFSA application online at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov. If you did not receive your PIN, you should request one via http://www.fafsa.ed.gov, or obtain and complete a new paper FAFSA form, or complete a new FAFSA electronically at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov.

The financial aid application deadline for UCSD funding is March 2 prior to the academic year. Students applying after the deadline are still eligible for Federal Stafford loan consideration.

The Graduate Financial Aid Information Guide and other informational/application materials are available at the Financial Aid Office, (858) 534-3807, located in Building 201, University Center. Or you may visit their website at http://orpheus.ucsd.edu/finaid.

General Tax Statement

The Tax Reform Act of 1986 changed the tax code so that most graduate student support is taxable income. Students appointed as teaching assistants and graduate student researchers (fully taxable income) will complete the W-4, Tax Withholding Allowance Certificate to indicate the amount of federal and state taxes to be withheld from monthly salary payments. For students with fellowships (providing a monthly stipend and usually full fees), any stipend funds used for registration fees, or for books, supplies, and equipment required for courses of instruction are non-taxable. All remaining fellowship stipend funds are taxable. For students who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents, taxes are not withheld from stipend payments and students should submit quarterly tax payments for federal (1040 ES) and state (540ES) taxes. For International students receiving salary or stipend payments, federal tax withholding is mandatory unless the provisions of an income tax treaty cover the income. Tax treaties apply to federal but not California State taxes. All fee and tuition payments from scholarships, fellowships, traineeships, research assistant tuition and fee remission, teaching assistant health insurance/fee remission and in-candidacy fee offset grants are non-taxable.

Office for Students with Disabilities

Students with Disabilities

A student who has been diagnosed with a disability, or who believes that he or she may have a disability requiring accommodation, must register as soon as possible with the Office for Students with Disabilities (OSD). (Faculty and staff members do not diagnose or evaluate disabilities.) Requests for accommodation must be made prior to the course,exam or other academic activity to enable the affected academic program to respond.

The Office for Students with Disabilities, OSD, facilitates student development, independence and access to campus programs, services and facilities through disability awareness events, disability management counseling, support groups, note takers, sign language interpreters, real-time captionists, readers, e-text, typists, library/laboratory assistants, adaptive equipment loans/minor repair, priority registration/enrollment assistance, on-campus housing coordination, exam arrangements, and on-campus transportation/parking coordination. OSD serves as liaison with academic departments, and with off-campus disability-related agencies and facilitates disability awareness through maintenance of a resource library of books, periodicals, articles, films and video formats about disability issues. With sufficient advance notice, OSD will provide on-campus disability workshops. Besides assisting students with disabilities with their academic growth, OSD also sponsors a Peer Mentoring Program to ease disabled students' transition into UCSD and facilitate independence, confidence and self-advocacy.

The OSD Director serves as advisor to the student organization for disabled students, which is an integral part of the UCSD community. OSD and the student organization welcome the participation/involvement of all students (with or without disabilities) in coordination of: disability awareness and Community Advocates for Disability Rights and Education (CADRE) events, leadership opportunities, community service, educational programs and sports/social events. For more information, contact (858) 534-4382.

Accommodation Requests and Complaints about Disability Issues

It is OSD's responsibility to verify the current presence of a student's disability and related limitation(s) in the academic environment. A student must present an OSD letter of certification/an accommodation recommendation to the appropriate faculty member in order to initiate a request for accommodation in classes, examinations, or other academic program activities. A course instructor, dissertation/thesis advisor, or examiner must have the OSD forms in order to consider accommodation. Accommodations can not be made retroactively and can not fundamentally alter an academic requirement.

Details of the process for seeking accommodation, and for appealing the denial of accommodation requests is found in the UCSD Academic Senate Policy on Students with Disabilities and Steps for Academic Accommodation, which can be found online at http://www-senate.ucsd.edu/manual/appendices/apxtoc.htm - app1. Academic accommodations are defined as adjustments or modifications to coursework, course requirements (such as final examinations) and program requirements (such as comprehensive or qualifying examinations) that allow students with disabilities to accomplish the fundamental and essential components of the course of study. As noted, OSD is the source for assistance and guidance in using these procedures. For more information and assistance, contact the Office for Students with Disabilities (OSD), 202 University Center, http://orpheus.ucsd.edu/osd, (858) 534-4382 (Voice/TDD), (858) 534-9709 (TDD+TDD Mail).

A student who disagrees with the response to a request for academic accommodation may appeal the decision or action at any time during the quarter to the Committee on Educational Policy (CEP) Subcommittee on Appeals for Accommodation of Students with Disabilities, as further described in the UCSD Academic Senate Policy described above. This subcommittee may be contacted through the Academic Senate Office, 214 University Center, (858) 534-3640.

Issues relating to physical access to facilities at UCSD are addressed in the UCSD Disability Access Guidelines, which can be found in the Policy and Procedures Manual, Section 200-9, available online at http://adminrecords.ucsd.edu/ppm/docs/200-9.HTML.

Complaints regarding discriminatory practices based upon disability may be filed following the procedures outlined in the Student Conduct Code, Section 23.10 "Student Grievance Procedures", which is available online at http://ugr8.ucsd.edu/judicial/23_00.html#23.10.

For procedural assistance and information on any matters pertaining to disabilities and accommodations, contact the Assistant Dean for Graduate Student Affairs at the Office of Graduate Studies.

University Libraries

The UCSD libraries consist of Geisel Library, with its research collections in the Social Sciences and Humanities Library (SSHL), the Art and Architecture Library, the Music Library, the Film and Video Library, the Mandeville Library of Special Collections, and the Science and Engineering Library (S&E). Other libraries include the Biomedical Library and the Medical Center Library, the Scripps Institution of Oceanography Library (SIO), the International Relations and Pacific Studies Library (IR/PS), and the Galbraith Hall Library.

Collectively, their mission is to support the campus programs of instruction, research and public service. While each library may have varying rules, all are open to members of the UCSD community. Library Services online (http://libraries.ucsd.edu) lists library hours, locations and services in addition to providing access to online databases.

Reference Services
Major academic research libraries like UCSD's are complex and evolving information systems. Reference services are available at each library to provide assistance to students and faculty with course needs and research activities. Reference service is generally available during weekday hours; availability of weeknight and weekend reference service varies among campus libraries.

Class Reserves Services
Class reserves for graduate level courses are available at each library. Class reserves for upper division courses (paper and CD ROM material) in the social sciences and humanities are housed in SSHL in the Geisel Library. Music, film and video, and slide formats are housed elsewhere in Geisel Library. SSHL does not house material for graduate level courses in science and engineering, upper division biology or biochemistry. Biology upper division courses are available at the Biomedical Library.

Instructional Services
Through its Instructional Services Program, the library offers a variety of orientations, instructional and consultation opportunities. Individual and group tours of the libraries may be arranged. Contact the library of interest and ask for the instructional coordinator.

Electronic Resources Training
The library offers group sessions and one-on-one consultations to help students make the most efficient use of all the electronic information resources available to them. These electronic resources can be used in the library and are increasingly becoming available remotely from home, lab, or the office.

The Library also offers many other computerized resources, from databases on compact disc such as Biological Abstracts and Philosopher's Index, which are self-service, to commercial online databases such as Chemical Abstracts, which librarians can search for UCSD students for a fee. Contact the reference department of the library of interest for more information on this service.

Interlibrary Loan (ILL) Services
The purpose of Interlibrary Loan (ILL) is to provide support to UCSD faculty, students and staff by borrowing books, journal articles, government publications, technical reports and other materials not owned by the UCSD libraries from other libraries, both within UC and throughout the world. Requests may also be made in person, by phone, by email, or by campus mail. UCSD faculty, students and staff are also eligible for direct borrowing privileges at other UC campuses and at most Stanford libraries. Please contact the Library Information Desk, (858) 534-2528 or visit the Interlibrary Loan website,

http://sshl.ucsd.edu/services/interlibrary.html, for more information.

Library Photocopy Services
As a companion to Interlibrary Loan, the library also offers photocopies of articles in journals owned at UCSD but not available electronically in full text. A small fee is charged to cover handling costs (typically $3.50 per article). Requests can be submitted directly from most California Digital Library databases (such as Medline, INSPEC, BIOSIS or Current Contents) using the "Request" feature. Students also may send requests via Library Express by using the "G" command in line mode or the "Request" button in the Web version, or by calling or emailing the Interlibrary Loan unit that supports their discipline.

Library Express (LX) Services
Library Express pages library materials from the UCSD collections and delivers them to any UCSD library for pick-up at the circulation desk. Currently available to UCSD graduate students and academic and staff employees, LX also delivers materials to undergraduates who are registered with the Office for Students with Disabilities. For more information, contact Library Express at (858) 534-5351, at ude.dscu|pxebil#ude.dscu|pxebil, or visit their website at http://libraries.ucsd.edu/services/ill-dds.

Email Reference Services
Some UCSD libraries have set up mechanisms to receive and answer brief reference questions by electronic mail. Generally these services are limited to UCSD staff, faculty and regularly enrolled students. Questions by email should normally be relatively brief and simple-a fact, statistic, biographical note, verification of an incomplete citation, advice on a starting strategy for research, etc. More complex and lengthy questions normally cannot be answered in this way, and will be referred to a subject specialist. Students should include their full name and email address for replies. Although email is checked regularly, reference librarians are not actually "standing by" their terminals, and replies may take one or two working days. If an answer is needed more immediately, call the Library Information Desk at (858) 534-3336 for either an answer or referral to the appropriate desk. The answers to many questions may also be found through the library's Frequently Asked Questions page (http://libraries.ucsd.edu/services/faq.html) or its Electronic Reference Shelf (http://libraries.ucsd.edu/refshelf.html).

Library Hours and Phone Numbers
Library hours are posted at the main entrances. Most libraries extend hours during examination periods. Call (858) 534-3336 for a recording of all UCSD library hours.

Art and Architecture Library, West Wing, Geisel Library, (858) 534-4811, http://aal.ucsd.edu

Biomedical Library, Southwest end of Basic Science Building, School of Medicine, (858) 534-1201, http://scilib.ucsd.edu/bml

Geisel Library, Located north of the Price Center and east of Thurgood Marshall College, (858) 534-3336, http://libraries.ucsd.edu

International Relations and Pacific Studies Library, Robinson Building Complex, (858) 534-0926, http://irpslibrary.ucsd.edu

Medical Center Library (off-campus), UCSD Medical Center, Hillcrest, (619) 543-6520, http://scilib.ucsd.edu/bml

Science and Engineering Library, East Wing, Geisel Library, (858) 534-3336, http://scilib.ucsd.edu

Scripps Institution of Oceanography Library, Scripps Campus (west of La Jolla Shores Drive), (858) 534- 4817, http://scilib.ucsd.edu/sio

Social Sciences and Humanities Library, Geisel Library, (858) 534-3336, http://sshl.ucsd.edu

Center for Library and Instructional Computing Services (CLICS), (858) 822-5427, ude.dscu|scilc#ude.dscu|scilc, http://clics.ucsd.edu

Other San Diego County Libraries

Cooperative arrangements exist with various other local governmental, educational, and industrial libraries, which allow UCSD graduate students to use their facilities. Some of these libraries have excellent specialized collections. They include the Salk Institute, G.A. Technologies, and the Naval Electronics Laboratory Center (NELC). The NELC facility requires advance arrangements, which must be made through the Interlibrary Loan Desk at Geisel Library.

Computing Services and Facilities

Email and Registering for a ude.dscu|eman#ude.dscu|eman address

There are various ways that UCSD graduate students obtain email service. Some obtain computing support and email accounts from their own department. Check with your department to find out if it provides direct computing support. Some students, depending on their major, are eligible to obtain email service from Academic Computing Services (ACS); you can apply for an ACS personal email account using the ACSREG tool found on http://www-acs.ucsd.edu/account-tools. Finally, some students prefer to use the email service of an off-campus provider, for example America Online.

No matter which type of email service you use, you can and should register with ACS/Network Operation to set up a "network username" (ude.dscu|eman#ude.dscu|eman address) that forwards mail to your email service regardless of whether that service is provided by your department, by ACS, or by an off-campus ISP.

One of the benefits of registering with Network Operations for a network username is that it will allow UCSD offices to retrieve your address in order to send you potentially important messages about enrollment, financial aid, and other business matters.

If you obtain an email account from ACS, the registration with Network Operations is done automatically. If you obtain an email account from your department, ask your system administrator if the registration has been done for you. If you use an off-campus ISP for email, or are unsure whether or not you have a network username, visit the Network Operations website http://www-no.ucsd.edu and follow the appropriate link to register for a network username; as of this writing the link is titled "Get a Network Username/Password". In this process you should set the Mailbox field to your functioning email address, for example, moc.loa|htimsj#moc.loa|htimsj.

Computing Resources for Instruction and Research
Some academic departments or divisions operate their own computing facilities, which support the instructional and research computing needs of their graduate students. Among these are: Anthropology, Communications, Economics, Political Science, Sociology, Urban Studies & Planning, School of Medicine, CSE and Physics. Computing support for graduate students in most other departments is provided by Academic Computing Services (ACS), http://www-acs.ucsd.edu.

Academic Computing Services
ACS manages Unix servers and workstation labs, as well as Windows PC and Macintosh labs to support instruction and student research.

Students enrolled in courses using ACS computers will automatically be provided with a computer account for that course by the instructor. Graduate students in departments supported by ACS who are enrolled in an independent research course (295-299 series) may apply for an ACS account on the web. See the ACSREG tool at http://www-acs.ucsd.edu/account-tools. Applications to request computer time for independent research beyond the basic allocation are available at the ACS Accounts Office.

See the student perspective on the ACS web page, http://www-acs.ucsd.edu for information on several useful topics, including: how to connect your computer to the internet; the campus wireless network; printing services; names and locations of computer labs; where to get help; tips for off-campus ISP users.

ACS Accounts Office

Room 2113, Applied Physics and Math Building, Muir Campus

(858) 534-4060

Hours: 10:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday

Email: ude.dscu|tlusnoc-sca#ude.dscu|tlusnoc-sca


Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion

Diversity is crucial to the academic excellence of our campus. To fulfill our institutional mission in a state as diverse and multi-ethnic as California, UCSD must be a campus where students, staff and faculty from many different backgrounds and life experiences interact and learn from each other. Diversity and educational excellence are mutually beneficial.

The University promotes diversity in all its programs. In fostering such an environment, the campus seeks to encourage respect and understanding of all cultural traditions and promote greater diversity among faculty, staff, and students. The staff of OGS has an important role to ensure that a diverse population is recruited, admitted, educated, and graduated. The staff makes special efforts to insure that students from traditionally underrepresented backgrounds are encouraged and supported in their educational efforts. For information about student diversity activities contact the OGS Assistant Dean of Student Affairs, Tim Johnston, (858) 534-3871. To view an updated list of programs and events, you can visit OGS's website at http://ogsr.ucsd.edu/studentlife.

UCSD Diversity Council

The Diversity Council was established by the Chancellor to look at the status of UCSD's diversity efforts and to recommend ways to improve campus effectiveness. This is based on the belief that the University environment is greatly enriched by the presence of people with diverse backgrounds and cultural perspectives. In fostering such an environment, the Council seeks to: 1) encourage respect and understanding of all cultural traditions; 2) promote greater diversity among faculty, staff, and students; 3) support campus diversity-related initiatives and communicate their results to the campus and the surrounding community. For more information about the Council, visit the website at http://diversity.ucsd.edu.

Chancellor's Advisory Committee on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Issues (CACLGBTI)

Established in the Fall of 1994, this committee's charge is to identify and analyze issues of lesbians, gays, bisexuals and transgender people at UCSD. By informing and educating the campus community about issues that detrimentally affect faculty, staff, and students; CACLBTI can make recommendations on policies and procedures that would ameliorate conditions negatively impacting this UCSD community. In fulfilling its charge on the UCSD campus, CACLGBTI sponsors and co-sponsors programming and events supporting and increasing awareness of lesbians, gay men, bisexuals and transgenders. For more information or a copy of the Resource Guide for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual Students, Faculty, and Staff, visit the website http://orpheus.ucsd.edu/caclgbi.

Asian American Student Forum/Kamalayan

The Asian American Student Forum is an informal discussion group where students can discuss academic, personal and social issues. For information on times and dates, please call (858) 534-3755 or visit http://psychservices.ucsd.edu. Kamalayan is a socio-political interest group for Philipina/o American Affairs; UCSD faculty, staff and students help raise awareness of issues affecting the Philipina/o community. For more information on Asian American student groups and events, contact Nancy Magpusao, at (858) 534-9689.

Cross Cultural Center (CCC) wikipage

The Cross Cultural Center offers programs and services specifically designed to reflect UCSD's commitment to excellence, scholarship and community through diversity and cross cultural interactions. Among its services are faculty, staff and student exchanges; educational materials; student outreach and retention programs; speakers and film series; community outreach; gender-related events; support and discussion groups; leadership development; international student activities; and more. The Cross Cultural Center is located across the street from the Literature Building and next to OGS, on Eleanor Roosevelt College. For additional information please contact the CCC at (858) 534-9689, ude.dscu|retneccc#ude.dscu|retneccc, or visit their web page at http://ccc.ucsd.edu.

Disabled Student Union (DSU)

DSU is a student organization comprised of both undergraduate and graduate students with and without disabilities. For additional information about the organization and events call (858) 534-4382.

Women's Center wikipage

The Women's Center provides support and education on gender issues for students, staff, faculty, and the community. Everyone is welcome to use the facility. Events include speakers, workshops, discussion groups, legal clinics, and other programs. The center's library includes a collection of books, videos, and magazines, including sections focusing on women in academia, women in science, parenting, health, lgbt and multicultural issues. There is a small children's area that parents can use (children must be supervised at all times). The center has a quarterly calendar and runs two listservs (a general listserv and one specifically for women in science). For additional information contact the Women's Center at 965 University Center, (858) 822-0074, ude.dscu|nemow#ude.dscu|nemow, or http://www.ucsd.edu/women.

Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Resource Office wikipage

The LGBT Resource Office at UCSD is a diverse, open and public space for all members of the University community to explore issues relating to sexual and gender identities, practices and politics. It develops student leadership, builds workplace equity, promotes academic research, and provides resources. The office challenges existing definitions of variant genders and sexualities by engaging in community building on- and off-campus. This office sustains and develops visibility, sense of community, and knowledge of diverse queer people. You can go to chat with friends, relax in their library/activity room, or use the internet to check email via a student workstation. The office has a quarterly calendar of educational, cultural and social events. They provide information on campus events and resources, and a list of gender and queer academic courses offered at UCSD. For additional information contact the LGBTR office at (858) 822-3493, ude.dscu|wobniar#ude.dscu|wobniar, or http://lgbtro.ucsd.edu.

Academic Related Services

Audio Visual Services

UCSD Media Services provides video players and projectors, video cameras, 16mm projectors, overhead slide projectors, tape players, phonographs, and PA systems on a recharge basis. The Media Teaching Lab, located in the Media Center, is a full video and 16mm-film production facility. It is available, free of charge, to any student with a media card enrolled in a film or video production class or to any graduate student using film or video as part of their work toward a degree. Films and videotapes are maintained in the Media Center library. For reservations and additional information, call (858) 534-5784 or go online at http://mediacenter.ucsd.edu

Career Services

CSC helps UCSD graduate students fulfill their career goals through a variety of services and resources including career advising, job listings and job fairs, reference materials, and career consultants. Electronic resources include the Center's Online Career Lab where students can access career information on the internet and CSC's website at http://career.ucsd.edu. CSC also sponsors workshops designed especially for graduate students on topics such as alternative careers for Ph.D.'s, job talks, CV writing, interviewing, and networking. UCSD Career Services is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and is located on Library Walk.

Center for Teaching Development (CTD)

In collaboration with academic departments, the Teaching Assistant Development Program (TADP) of CTD provides training aimed primarily at improving the teaching skills of new teaching assistants (TAs). Services include an orientation before classes begin, thematic and discipline-specific workshops, classroom observations, student questionnaires, optional videotaping, and confidential consultation. CTD also publishes the Graduate Teaching Assistant Handbook which provides information about the variety of tasks and responsibilities involved in the teaching assistantship as well as policies and procedures pertaining to this position.

The International Teaching Assistant Language Program (ITALP) provides screening and evaluation of the English language skills of international TAs. International graduate students who do not have the requisite skills for classroom teaching will receive training in ESL classes offered by the center. For additional information please contact CTD at (858) 534-6767 or visit their website at http://ctd.ucsd.edu.

Departmental Teaching Assistant Advising

Departments and programs assume primary responsibility for training their TAs and are expected to ensure that new TAs receive training in the campus-wide TA Development Program and/or an equivalent departmental program. Each department and program appoints a faculty adviser who assumes responsibility for TA matters for a two-year period. The faculty adviser oversees training activities and evaluations, oversees the Senior TA (if applicable) and collaborates with the Director of CTD on TA training matters.

Graduate Enrichment Program (GEP)

The Graduate Enrichment Program is a student development program designed to address some of the more distinctive and specific needs of graduate students. The focus is on activities that are automatically associated with the pursuit of a graduate degree. Provisions are made for individual and group tutoring, comprehensive examination preparation, remedial assistance, and special student-run seminars. For further information, call OGS, (858) 534-3678.

Health and Wellness Services

Psychological and Counseling Services

A staff consisting of counseling and clinical psychologists, a social worker, and a consulting psychiatrist provides assistance to students who may be experiencing academic, psychological, marital, family or vocational problems. Individual and group counseling, psychotherapy, marriage or relationship counseling, family therapy, interpersonal, dynamic, cognitive-behavioral and hypnotic techniques are available. Groups focusing on issues such as stress management, test taking anxiety, sexuality, procrastination, ethnicity, assertiveness and social skills building are formed throughout the year. A variety of support groups designed specifically for graduate students are also offered and announced quarterly.

All services with the exception of specialized testing are available at no charge to students who have paid their Student Registration Fee. Services are offered at all five college locations as well as at the central office. Confidentiality is assured. The Central Office is located at 190 Galbraith Hall. For further details or to make an appointment, call (858) 534-3755 or view the website at http://psychservices.ucsd.edu.

Student Health Services Center (SHS)

Comprehensive primary health care is provided without charge or at low cost during the academic year and summer for all students who have paid registration fees. Student Health Services is fully accredited by AAAHC. Students are encouraged to seek advice on any health problem. Professional and confidential attention is assured. See our new web-site http://studenthealth.ucsd.edufor a full description of our services, as well as extensive information on health topics. Look for on-line services coming soon, prescription refills, and appointment scheduling.

Most services now require an appointment. There are same-day appointments available for urgent needs. Call central scheduling (534-8089) early in the day for best availability. Advanced appointments are available for routine care.

Clinic services by appointment include:

§ Primary health care

§ Women's Clinic (complete range of gynecological services)

§ Men's Clinic (evaluation and treatment of STD's and sexual concerns)

§ Sports Medicine (by SHS referral only)

§ Travel Clinic and Travel Immunizations

§ Nutrition Counseling

Walk-in services include:

§ Urgent Care (for problems that require immediate attention only)

§ There is a $10 fee to be seen in Urgent Care (waived if you are sent to the emergency room)

§ First Aid/ Wound Care

§ Nurse's Clinic - services include routine immunizations, throat cultures, and TB and confidential HIV testing. Hours are 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, except Wednesday 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.

Location: On Library Walk across from the Price Center

Hours: Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Wednesday 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Closed 12:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m., during summer and quarter breaks

Closed on university holidays and weekends

Phone: General Information: (858) 534-3300

Appointments: (858) 534-8089

Appointment Cancellations: (858) 534-1770

Graduate Insurance Rep: (858) 534-2123

Website: http://studenthealth.ucsd.edu

Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP)

The Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) is a comprehensive group health plan and is mandatory for all graduate and professional students. Primary care is provided at UCSD Student Health Services (SHS). When you are within a 100-mile radius of SHS, you must start your health care at Student Health Services in the absence of a medical emergency. SHIP provides annual coverage including summer and holiday periods. To be covered under SHIP over summer, a student must be enrolled in the plan for the preceding Spring quarter. The SHIP plan includes dental benefits and vision discounts at the SHS Optometry Department. Information on separate health insurance for dependents of graduate and professional students is available at the Insurance Office located in Building 959 across from the Gilman parking structure.

Students already covered by health insurance, which was in effect prior to acceptance as a graduate student at UCSD, may qualify for a waiver of the mandatory SHIP if benefits are equal to or better than SHIP benefits. Waiver requests must be submitted in writing with specific documentation prior to registration and waiver deadlines. A list of required documents is available at the Student Insurance Office or the website http://studenthealth.ucsd.edu.

Brochures describing GSHIP benefits, SHS referral requirements and policy limitations and exclusions are available at the Student Health Services, the Student Insurance Office, and the Office of Graduate Studies. Additionally, the brochure may be viewed and downloaded from the website http://www.renaissance-inc.com or at http://studenthealth.ucsd.edu. Insurance questions and consultations are available at the Student Insurance Office.

For first-year students arriving on campus prior to the start of the academic calendar year, it is highly recommended that you review your current insurance status and purchase short-term coverage if necessary. SHIP will begin on the first day of the fall quarter. Early SHIP coverage for students is for a short duration, must be pre-approved by SHS and department.

Insurance Office Information:

Phone: (858) 534-2123

Fax: (858) 822-5910


Student Health Services and the Student Insurance Office are closed weekends and university holidays.

Dependent Insurance

The State of California offers affordable health insurance for children and teenagers through the Health Families program. For information on eligibility and coverage contact Healthy Families at 1-800-880-5305 or visit their website at http://www.healthyfamilies.ca.gov. Dependent insurance called the Dependent Insurance Plan (DHIP) is offered in association with GSHIP. A list with additional plans is available in the Student Insurance Office. Call 858-534-2123 or 858-822-5980.

Food Services

University Dining Services

Generally, service is available during the week from 7:30 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. On weekends and during quarter breaks, service is available on a more limited basis. Pre-paid meal plans are available to all students.


Canyon Vista (Warren College)

Oceanview Terrace (Thurgood Marshall College)

Plaza Cafe (Revelle College)

Sierra Summit (Muir College)

Café Ventanas (Roosevelt College)


Such as: sandwiches, grilled items, salads, and bakery goods are available at:

Club Med (School of Medicine)

Earl's Place (Warren College)

Munch Box (Thurgood Marshall College)

Snackropolis (SIO)

Muir Rathskeller

Why Not Here? (Revelle)

Dining Express (all over campus)

Food Co-op (Student Center)

Food Works (Matthews Apts.)


Bull's Eye Tavern in Round Table Pizza (Price Center)

Porter's Pub (Student Center)

Coffee Houses

Grove Café (Student Center)

Espresso Roma (Price Center)

Peabody's (Library Walk/Center Hall)

Peabody's (Social Sciences Building)

Peabody's (Warren)

Muir Woods (Muir)

Art of Expresso (Mandeville Center)

Price Center

Jamba Juice

Panda Express

Round Table Pizza


Star Wraps


Sunshine Store

Child Care

Several child care options are available on or near the UCSD campus. Some are under the auspices of the university and others are run by the government or by private organizations. Students may be eligible for subsidized rates.

Early Childhood Education Center

The UCSD Early Childhood Education Center is a service for University students, staff and faculty. The goal of the Center is to provide a meaningful experience for children from 11 months and walking through kindergarten age. Subsidies are available for student families based on a sliding scale. For further information about the Early Childhood Education program, please feel welcome to address inquiries to:

UCSD, Early Childhood Education Center, 0962

9500 Gilman Drive

La Jolla, CA 92093-0962

(858) 522-2500

International Cooperative Nursery School (ICNS)
Located in the International Center at UCSD, ICNS is run under the auspices of the Friends of the International Center. ICNS is a parent participation program for children ages 2, 3, 4, and 5. The school provides developmentally appropriate part-time programs in the mornings and afternoons. Families who are eligible to attend the school include families associated with UCSD, families visiting from other countries, and families from the surrounding community. For further information please contact:

International Cooperative Nursery School

9500 Gilman Drive, 0018

La Jolla, CA 92093-0018

(858) 455-9310

For students unable to get their children in these programs due to space limitations, the State Department of Education operates a full-time child care facility less than three miles from campus. For information, contact the Hawthorne Child Development Center, 4750 Lehrer Street, San Diego, CA 92117, 273-6101. The UCSD Early Childhood Education program also provides an Infant/Toddler Referral Program.

International Center

In the belief that effective education exchange can lead to greater understanding and appreciation between people of different cultures and traditions, the UCSD International Center and the Friends of the International Center work together to maintain the International Center as a focal point for campus and community services and programs.

The International Center's student advising operations (the International Student/Scholar Office and the Programs Abroad Office) offer multiple resources to graduate students. The International Student/Scholar Advising Office provides pre-arrival information, a host family program, orientation and check-in, ongoing advising on immigration and visa matters, and providing referrals to UCSD international students and scholars.

The UC Education Abroad Program offers study abroad for UC credit. The Opportunities Abroad Program provides alternative options for graduate students to pursue foreign study and work abroad options. The Programs Abroad Library at the International Center provides detailed information on all of these options as well as funding sources for international research and study.

The International Center also offers educational, cultural, and social events to the campus community. These events are open to students, staff, and faculty of UCSD and members of the surrounding community. The Center provides numerous services and international exchange opportunities for the UCSD community, including tutoring, community contact programs, ethnic dinners, housing assistance for international students and scholars, presentations, and sponsorship of the International Club.

Every Friday from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., the campus is invited to attend an informal lunch gathering at the Center. For only $2.50, attendees receive a buffet lunch and have an opportunity to meet a wide array of students, faculty and researchers, including graduate and post-doctoral students.

The International Center facility may be rented by graduate students and departments for presentations, meetings and social events. A special rate is offered for graduate student organizations and departments.

The Friends of the International Center play an active role in the educational, social and cultural activities and projects of the International Center. The Friends is a non-profit volunteer organization made up of campus and community members, whose purpose is to provide services and programs for all students, both international and U.S., who are associated with UCSD.

The Center is located at the corner of Library Walk and Gilman Drive on the main UCSD campus and is open Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Contact the International Center at:

International Student/Scholar Advising Office: (858) 534-3730

Programs Abroad Advising Office: (858) 534-1123

Facility Reservations: (858) 534-6442/3730



Community Service Officer Program and Escort Service

Community Service Officers (CSO) are students who perform duties in the interest of student safety. The CSO Program is run out of the UCSD Police Department and offers a free safety escort service to all students, faculty, staff and visitors. Escorts are available 365 days a year (including holidays and breaks) from 5:00 p.m. until dawn. Escorts will go to any university property within the vicinity including Mesa and Coast apartments, Scripps Institute of Oceanography, and the Torrey Pines centers. Most escorts walk, but there is a vehicle for students who are mobility impaired or for some far distances. Call (858) 534-WALK/9255 or activate any yellow emergency call box on campus to request an escort. Students can arrange for an escort well in advance or call when they are needed (plan for a 5-10 minute wait for the escort to reach the pick up location).

Student Safety Awareness Program

The Student Safety Awareness Program (SSAP) is the primary source for information, crisis intervention, and follow-up support regarding rape, sexual assault and general personal safety on the UCSD campus. The program offers workshops on sexual assault, dating, violence, personal safety, and sexual harassment. Counseling for victims and family/friends is also available. For more information about SSAP, please call (858) 534-5793 or stop by the SSAP office, Student Center Building B, lower level. Information is also available online at http://www.ucsd.edu/ssap.

University Police Department

The UCSD Police Department provides continuous police coverage of the campus community, including a variety of service-oriented law enforcement activities. Its primary purpose is to protect life and property. Patrol of the campus community and dispatching of emergency services are provided twenty-four hours a day. The Police Department has a policy of providing reasonable enforcement of University regulations, and local, state, and Federal laws. If a student is working late into the night and wishes to have an escort to a car or another campus location after 5 p.m. to 1 a.m., he/she can call the Community Service Officer (CSO) Escort Program at 4-WALK (4-9255). The office is located in Building 500 University Center. For non-emergencies on campus, dial 4-HELP (4-4357); off-campus dial (858) 534-HELP (4357). The 911 emergency number may also be used at any time. For more information about University Police programs and services view the website at http://police.ucsd.edu/.


UCSD's theatre and dance department puts on many spectacular plays throughout the year. UCSD's theatre and dance facilities are among the best in the country. The plays are put on at the Mandell Weiss Center for the Performing Arts on campus, and more plays can be seen at the La Jolla Playhouse. UCSD's Theatre and Dance has proven itself a strikingly vital force in this county's cultural life, for putting on plays from Spanish classics to Shakespeare. More information on shows at the Mandell Weiss Theatre can be found on their website http://theatre.ucsd.edu or through the Box Office at (858) 534-4574. The La Jolla Playhouse produces a main stage season of 6 to 8 innovative productions of new plays, classics and musicals, many of which are world premieres, and supports the creation of new work through its "Page To Stage" play development program, which includes commissions, readings and workshops. The Playhouse operates with fiscal responsibility and works to attract a large and diverse audience reflective of our community. The Playhouse also presents a wide range of education programs that enrich the community and serve the maximum number of children, students and adults. Please visit http://www.lajollaplayhouse.com or call the Box Office at (858) 550-1010 for more information.

Crafts Center and Grove Gallery

The Crafts Center offers studio and arts/crafts instructional facilities in ceramics, photography, glass arts, and other crafts. The Center provides personal enrichment and creative educational opportunities to individuals wishing to develop artistic skills in an active studio classroom situation. Registration for Crafts Center activities takes place the first week of every quarter. Classes, schedules, and course fee information can be obtained by calling (858) 534-2021 or by visiting their website at http://www-crafts.ucsd.edu.

The Grove Gallery is part of the Crafts Center and offers exhibits by campus and community artists. The Grove Gallery sells a wide variety of handmade crafts and other gift items. The Grove is open Monday through Friday from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.

University Art Gallery

The University Art Gallery presents five to six exhibitions yearly, primarily of contemporary art, featuring international artists, nationally touring exhibitions, and UCSD Visual Arts Faculty and alumni. Significant recent exhibitions have included: Dear Vocio: Tina Modotti; Gary Hill: Tall Ships; Hun Liu: A Ten-Year Survey 1988-1998; Dusted: Peter Sarkisian; Eight on the Edge: New Architecture in the West. Past artists featured have included: Ross Bleckner, Howard Ben Tre, John Cage, Chuck Close, Mariko Mori, Alessandro Santillana, Italo Scanga, and Kiki Smith.

Gallery hours are from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Tuesday through Saturday, and by appointment for groups of ten or more. Summer hours are Thursday through Saturday, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. and by appointment. The gallery is closed on Mondays, holidays, and during exhibition installations. Admission is free. For information call (858) 534-2107, or http://www.universityartgallery.ucsd.edu.

Visual Arts Graduate Gallery

The Visual Arts Graduate Gallery, located in the Visual Arts Facility on Russell Lane, offers exhibitions of graduate student work each week of the quarter. Included in the schedule are first-year review shows and MFA thesis exhibitions. Gallery hours are Monday through Friday, noon to 5:00 p.m. The gallery is closed on weekends. There is no admission charge. Contact the graduate coordinator in the Visual Arts Department for more details, (858) 534-2862.

The Visual Arts Annex Gallery, located in the Mandeville Center, offers a new exhibition of undergraduate work each week of the quarter. Included in the exhibition schedule are individual shows by Visual Arts majors, class shows, and Spring Celebration of the Arts exhibitions. Gallery hours are Monday through Friday, noon to 5 p.m. The gallery is closed on weekends. There is no admission charge. Contact the undergraduate coordinator in the Visual Arts Department for more details, (858) 534-2252.

Recreation and Sports

Recreation Facilities

UCSD Recreation offers students, faculty and staff a broad scope of recreational, instructional and competitive programs designed to promote a lifestyle of health and fitness. Whether your interest is in aquatics, intramural sports, master's running, swimming or Triathlon, there are programs and opportunities for everyone. The Recreation Magazine is widely available on campus and publishes current schedules and complete program information.

Sports Facilities

There is no fee to students for recreation facilities open hours use during the academic year. Recreation sports facilities include RIMAC, with its 12,000 sq. ft. weight room, racquetball and squash courts, activity rooms, gym and 5,000 seat arena; Canyonview athletic complex with outdoor swimming pool, weight room, racquetball court and indoor climbing center; Main Gym with a complete weight room, indoor natatorium and main and recreation gyms for informal rec basketball, volleyball, floor hockey, indoor soccer and more; playing fields; tennis and sand volleyball courts; all weather track and field stadium; fitness trail and parcourse; and nearby, the oceanfront aquatics facilities of Mission Bay Aquatic Center.

Outback Adventures located in Pepper Canyon, across from Canyonview, offers students low cost recreation trips and a complete rental service offering camping and sports equipment. Outback Adventures Indoor Climbing Center is located at the Canyonview Athletics Complex and is available for individual and group climbing. Necessary equipment and instruction are available.

Sports Clubs Teams compete against other universities. Teams include alpine skiing, ballroom dance, cycling, equestrian, ice hockey, men's and women's lacrosse, rugby, sailing, and surfing. Low-key activity clubs open to the entire campus community include archery, ballroom dance, bodyboarding, fencing, SCUBA, table tennis, and wrestling.

Recreation has a very popular Personal Wellness Program for students, in which 60 students are selected each quarter to participate in a 10 week fitness program in a small group setting with Recreation personal trainers at RIMAC. The program is free to students and is offered as a service to introduce and promote a lifestyle of wellness.

UCSD Recreation

General Information (858) 534-4037
Department Administrative Offices - 4th floor RIMAC
Recreational Sales Desk (for class sign ups) - Lobby, RIMAC

Other Services and Centers

Automatic Teller Machines (ATM) are available at various locations on campus including outside the Price Center, the USE Credit Union, and the Student Center.

Box Office

The Box Office located in the Price Center, sells tickets for most events at UCSD. It also sells tickets for off-campus events through Ticketmaster. Discount tickets to all area Pacific, AMC, and Edwards's theaters and coupon books for restaurants and other local businesses are available. Group tickets are also available for attractions such as Sea World, Knott's Berry Farm and Legoland. The Box Office quarterly hours are 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, (858) 534-4559. During summer sessions, hours are subject to change. See more details online at http://ueo.ucsd.edu.

Credit Union (USE)

Graduate students employed by the University (i.e. TAs, GSRs) may become members of the University and State Employees Credit Union (USE) for $10.00. After becoming a member, there are several different accounts available. Joining the credit union may prove to be a valuable component for acquiring a credit history and obtaining loans. For more information, call USE at (858) 453-5620 or check out their web page at http://www.usecu.org.

Duplicating Services

Several duplicating services are available on campus. Imprints, the University provider for copies and printing services, manages over 700 photocopiers on campus. Imprints has four full-service locations on campus with varying hours. Call (858) 534-3020 or see their website for up to date information http://imprints.ucsd.edu. Also, there are several self-service copiers in University Bookstore, Libraries, the Price Center, various offices and housing facilities for a fee. For supplies and copier/printer service call or visit one of their campus locations.

Campus Services Complex Muir Center

(858) 534-3020 (858) 534-2197

Fax: (858) 534-8120 Fax: (858) 822-4006

MC 0031 MC 0107

Geisel Library University Center

(858) 534-2534 (858) 534-7050

Fax: (858) 534-8811 Fax: (858) 822-0610

MC 0175I MC 0087

EDNA (Student Information Center)

EDNA is located in the Price Center main lobby. EDNA provides information on services which benefit students, faculty, and the community, including room reservation information, and student telephone directory information. If the EDNA staff cannot answer a question, they will refer the caller to the proper person or agency. Contact EDNA at (858) 534-3362/3363.

Legal Services

The Office of Student Legal Services provides assistance to students regarding legal issues. Any UCSD student anticipating or currently facing a legal problem, such as personal injury, hate crimes, family law, bankruptcy, landlord/tenant and property damage, immigration, or any other type of legal problem, is entitled to free services. SLS offers individual appointments, group counseling/workshops and academic legal resources. For additional information you can contact the Office of Student Legal Services at http://sls.ucsd.edu, (858) 534-4374, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Post Office

The U.S. Postal Service is located on campus, at the Price Center. Hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 3:45 p.m. Personal checks are accepted with a valid student I.D. Telephone the Post Office at the Price center at (858) 534-2052 for more information.

Student Co-Ops

Several co-op facilities run by students offer a variety of services at reasonable prices. These include the Food Co-op, Groundwork Books, General Store, and a computer science co-op located in the Student Center. Other co-ops include the Farm Co-op, and the Recycle Co-op (glass and aluminum only) located southeast of the Humanities library. Hours of operation, or information on joining the co-ops may be obtained by calling individual co-ops located at the Student Center:

Ground Works, (858) 452-9625

General Store, (858) 534-3932

Food Co-op, (858) 546-8339

University Bookstore

The University Bookstore makes available an extensive selection of books, including textbooks required for UCSD courses, supplementary reading materials, paperback books, technical reference books, medical books, and a wide variety of general-interest trade books. In addition, the bookstore carries a full line of sundries and gifts, including personal items, magazines and newspapers, clothing, posters, school supplies, electronic calculators, computers, software, and art and engineering supplies. Bookstore hours are from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Monday through Friday and 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Saturday. Special rush period hours are arranged in the first two weeks of every quarter. Telephone the bookstore at (858) 534-7323; see it online at http://bookstore.ucsd.edu.

UCSD Principles of Community

The University of California, San Diego is dedicated to learning, teaching, and serving society through education, research, and public service. Our international reputation for excellence is due in large part to the cooperative and entrepreneurial nature of the UCSD community. UCSD faculty, staff, and students are encouraged to be creative and are rewarded for individual as well as collaborative achievements.

To foster the best possible working and learning environment, UCSD strives to maintain a climate of fairness, cooperation, and professionalism. These principles of community are vital to the success of the university and the well being of its constituents. UCSD faculty, staff, and students are expected to practice these basic principles as individuals and in groups.

· We value each member of the UCSD community for his or her individual and unique talents, and applaud all efforts to enhance the quality of campus life. We recognize that each individual's effort is vital to achieving the goals of the university.

· We affirm each individual's right to dignity and strive to maintain a climate of justice marked by mutual respect for each other.

· We value the cultural diversity of UCSD because it enriches our lives and the university. We celebrate this diversity and support respect for all cultures, by both individuals and the university as a whole.

· We are a university that adapts responsibly to cultural differences among the faculty, staff, students, and community.

· We acknowledge that our society carries historical and divisive biases based on race, ethnicity, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, religion, and political beliefs. Therefore, we seek to foster understanding and tolerance among individuals and groups, and we promote awareness through education and constructive strategies for resolving conflict.

· We reject acts of discrimination based on race, ethnicity, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, religion, and political beliefs, and we will confront and appropriately respond to such acts.

· We affirm the right to freedom of expression at UCSD. We promote open expression of our individuality and our diversity within the bounds of courtesy, sensitivity, confidentiality and respect.

· We are committed to the highest standards of civility and decency toward all.

· We are committed to promoting and supporting a community where all people can work and learn together in an atmosphere free of abusive or demeaning treatment.

· We are committed to the enforcement of policies that promote the fulfillment of these principles.*

We represent diverse races, creeds, cultures, and social affiliations coming together for the good of the university and those communities we serve. By working together as members of the UCSD community, we can enhance the excellence of our institution.

*These policies include but are not limited to: Academic Personnel M015-The University of California Policy on Faculty Conduct and the Administration of Discipline, The University of California Personnel Policies for Staff Members and UCSD Implementing Procedures, Appendix II - Personnel Policies for Senior Managers, The University of California, San Diego Student Conduct Code, UCSD House Officer Policy and Procedure Document, Applicable University Collective Bargaining Agreements. For further information or inquiries, contact the Director, Office of Academic Affirmative Action, the Director of Human Resources for Equal Opportunity/Staff Affirmative Action, and/or the Director, Student Affirmative Action and Human Relations Programs.

Nondiscrimination Policy Statement for University of California Publications Regarding Student-Related Matters
The University of California, in accordance with applicable Federal and State law and University policy, does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy,1 disability, age, medical condition (cancer-related), ancestry, marital status, citizenship, sexual orientation, or status as a Vietnam-era veteran or special disabled veteran. The University also prohibits sexual harassment. This nondiscrimination policy covers admission, access, and treatment in University programs and activities.

Inquiries regarding the University's student-related nondiscrimination policies may be directed to: ([Name or title and telephone number of responsible official(s).] )

Pregnancy includes pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.5 License.