Here's quick guide for how to join this site.
There are three basic steps to join the wiki: Create a wikidot.com account, Apply to join uscsdgrads.wikidot, and Get accepted to the website. Just in case you need more info, here is a step-by-step guide to joining the site.
- Go to ucsdgrads.wikidot.com. From here there are two ways to get started: 1.) Click the "create account" link in the top right hand corner of the window or 2.) go to the "How to Join" link on the left side navigation bar, then click create account.
- A box will open. Read the text and then click next.
- Accept the terms of service by checking the box and clicking next.
- Create a screen name, enter your email address, create a password, aand type the letters and numbers in picture in the box. This box prevents automatic subscriptions by machines. Click next
- Confirm data and click next
- Verification code: This is another measure to prevent machine subscriptions. An email with a verification code has just been sent to you .Open a new browser window and check your email. The email should be from "Wikidot.com Automatic Mailer and subject "wikidot.com-email verificcation" Copy and paste the verification code into the box. Click next
- Congratulations! You are now a member of wikidot.com but you still need to join ucsdgrads.wikidot.com
- Got to ucsdgrads.wikidot.com and click the "how to join" link in the left navigation bar again.
- There should now be a text box where the links "log in or create an acount" were. Type in some info about yourself in the box and hit apply.
You should be notified of your new membership within 24 hours. We made it so that you have to join this website to edit to keep malicious folks who might want to wreck the site at bay. Plus there's guaranteed acceptance. With all the rejection in grad school, consider your application and acceptance to the grad wiki your daily affirmation.
If your having trouble joining this site, see if any of these might apply to you. If you still haven't fixed the problem, send an email to moc.liamg|ikiwdargdscu#moc.liamg|ikiwdargdscu
- When I click on the link to join, the site goes dark and nothing happens.
Your probably using an unsupported browser. The supported browsers are Firefox, Netscape, Opera, and Internet Explorer. Safari is NOT supported (yet).
- I've created a wikidot account but I can't log into the grad wiki website.
You still need to join the ucsdgrads.wikidot.com site. Click on the join link on the homepage and follow the instructions.
- I tried to join the website but I get the message that I can't join because I've already registered.
You are either already a member of the site or you have already submitted an application and it is waiting approval. We try to approved new members within 24 hours of application submission.
- I've created a wikidot account and then submitted an application, basically I've done everything right but I still can't log in to the ucsdgrad wiki for editing or using the forum.
Your probably still awaiting approval. We try to approve new members within 24 hours but sometimes we encounter delays (power failures, loss of internet access etc) As the number of administrators grows, this will cease to be a problem.
- My verification code never showed up when registering for wikidot.com, what do I do?
The email with your verification code should show up almost immediately in your inbox. If it hasn't a few things could be wrong: 1.) you mis-typed your email address 2.) your inbox is full 3.) There is a technical problem with wikidot.com, in which case you should try back later. There is a less common fourth possiblity 4.) you might have something like "greylisting" on your mail server which delays the delivery of emails. Just wait and keep your browser window open, it will eventually show up.
- My verification code to register for wikidot.com just showed up how do I get back to my registration?
You can't. You have to re-do the registration process. However, the email should show up much faster this time.